Wireless Phone Disconnects Wireless Internet

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
EVERY time someone calls the homephone it disconnects my wifi...

Its annoying and its not going to fly when I start online gaming again.

Is there anyway to fix this? Short of buying a new phone.

And if it has to be a new phone what type should I get?

Solution

FIOS is not DSL, and you may be able to fix this issue a few ways since you only lose the wireless connections. That means your internet is not dropping, just the PC connection between it and the Router.

Go into your wireless router and change the channel it's on, change it to one of the far ones, 7 or something. If you have a newer Router, you can even select between 2.4 and 5.4ghz bands, change it to whatever it's not set to now. You may need to re-configure your wireless cards on the computers after that.

If that does not fix things, move your phone base station as far away from the...
G

What is homephone ?

Generally issues like this are either to do with ADSL filtering or wireless being interfered with by cordless phone.

What is homephone ?

Generally issues like this are either to do with ADSL filtering or wireless being interfered with by cordless phone.
+1 ^

You need to let us know what your setup is.

Wireless phones are generally on the same frequency as WiFi signals, along with microwaves and 50 other things. But only picking up your wireless phone should not disconnect you, so I'm leaning towards you having DSL.

If you have DSL, there are also issues, in that case, you may need to contact your DSL provider to check to make sure all of your phone lines have filters on them, that those filters are good. They may need to do some work outside on the pole, in some cases how the wiring is setup will cause issues no matter what you do inside the house.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Ring

My internet setup?

Or my phone set up?

I believe it is DSL internet *I have FIOS* It does NOT however stop the wired internet.

FIOS is not DSL, and you may be able to fix this issue a few ways since you only lose the wireless connections. That means your internet is not dropping, just the PC connection between it and the Router.

Go into your wireless router and change the channel it's on, change it to one of the far ones, 7 or something. If you have a newer Router, you can even select between 2.4 and 5.4ghz bands, change it to whatever it's not set to now. You may need to re-configure your wireless cards on the computers after that.

If that does not fix things, move your phone base station as far away from the router as you can.

If that does not fix things, buy a cordless phone that does not use the 2.4ghz band.

Solution

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
IF I just buy a non 2.4ghz phone will that fix it??? I never said it killed all the internet JUST wifi.. and its not just my computer.. It kills the xbox, it kills the PS3 it kills my DS, it also kills my wii's wifi if the phone rings.

It should fix it, all of your symptoms point to that. Maybe try to change your Router config first? Although you can find a 5.4ghz phone pretty cheap now. At worst you will have a new phone :D

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

My phones are ATLEAST 4 years old.. They are falling apart. I think its time for a new phone.. Haha..

Ravi-TX

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
My phone used to disconnect then I changed the phone to DECT 6.0 suppoted phone which is very good now and does not disconnect.

When I use microwave my 2.4 GHz wireless router will disconnect the signal from router and all my wireless device goes down connected to the router not my phone.

I have a simple solution.

You do not need to change your router because not all the device will support 5.0 GHz and no point in buying expensive router. I did test 5.0 ghz and no device supported this like WII, Cell Phone, IPAD, Itouch and my laptop.

I just placed 2 baking plate on the top of microwave like one covering backside and another covering right side gap because my microwave is placed in the corner of kitchen. So I just covered the gap on the top 2 sides only. I started to heat my coffee for 1 min and I do see this worked and did not disconnect my wireless connection

I again did the test one more time to make sure it works and worked. So my conclusion is that you need to shield your microwave is the simple solution. you may just try with wood also.

TRENDING THREADS