Review my new PC and advice where needed

proewkster

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Hey guys,

I've decided to buy a new computer and started browsing the internet for information about the newest technologies. After a few days I've selected all components and assembled a new computer. Before buying it, I wanted to pass it by you for any advice or comments, because you probably know more about this than I do. This way I can adjust any choices I've made according to the advice you give me and I can learn something in the process...

Note that I will be keeping some of the components of my previous computer. I also kept overclocking in mind while choosing some of the stuff, but I don't have any experience in the matter, so I won't be doing that right away. Also watercooling is an option, but same as overclocking I don't have any experience and don't want to do anything foolish...

Please try to motivate any comment or advice you post here, otherwise it will be rather useless. If I don't know why I'm changing something, I won't be changing it at all...

Here's the setup:

Antec 1200 Case
Antec TruePower Quattro 1200 Power Supply
Asus Sabertooth X-58 MoBo
Intel Core I7 950 CPU
Corsair CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
XFX ATi Radeon HD 5970 Graphics Card
LG BRRW drive
LG DVDRW drive
2x WD Raptor 10000RPM 150GB HD
1x WD Enterprise 500GB HD

--> These HD's are from my old computer and still work fine. I'm considering adding a SSD, but I'm not sure yet.
Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum Sound Card
--> Also from the old computer. I would like to keep this because it has a front bay on which I can connect my guitar and stuff

I guess that's it. If you have any advice or comments, feel free to post them, but again, Please try to explain why you would do something else.

Thanks in advance,

Grtz, Proewk

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hey, you really do need to tell us what you are using it for. The following is the standard set up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

If its just a gaming system then the i5 760 will be just as good and save you a large amount of money. Though if you are planning to XFire that 5970 (massive overkill) in the future I'd go for the X58.

I prefer other RAM then Dominators, unless your looking to do extreme OCs they are not really worth it. Though they do look sweet, I'll give you that.

Soon the 69XX cards come out which should give more performance for the dollar. I'm not too sure when though its soon like a few weeks. Or maybe I'm mistaken and there a while away. Though it is something to look at, note that the 69XX are the new 58XX cards not the new 59XX. ATI stuffed up the naming scheme so expect the 5970 replacement to be a 6970X2.

Fire Lancer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Unless that RAM is as cheap as the other available DDR3 RAM don't bother. The difference between even say a 1333MHz CL9 module and a 1600MHz CL8 one is not that noticeable.

Power supply looks a bit overkill, although if you ever decide to crossfire two 5970's I guess it will be useful.

proewkster

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I've looked at other RAM instead of the Dominator, but that doesn't change that much in price. I've looked at the supported RAM types that were listed in the processor documentation to prevent problems in the future. Although some of the RAM solutions listed there were more interesting they weren't available at my store. So the dominator seemed like the best solution. The overclocking possibilities and the cool look are a neat bonus, but not at all the main reason why I chose these.

The power supply is indeed overkill. But I've had power issues in the past and wanted to avoid them this time. First I went with a 1000 version, but the price difference for the 1200 was so small that it would be foolish not to get that one. I tried to build the computer so that in the future I could simply upgrade it, rather than having to replace several components again. So maybe the XFire option for the 5970 might be overkill now, but it won't be in the future. I will however have a look at the new 69xx series when they are available. Right now I can't order the computer yet, so I'll still have a few weeks to look at any new hardware that appears on the market

The computer will be mainly used for gaming and video rendering. Like i said, I'm not really into oveclocking yet, but I'm a bit of a hobbyist and want to dig into that subject once I have some spare time.

Thanks for the input. As you can see I already tried to compare the components to other ones, that's why for now, I will stick with the RAM and CPU. I will however, take the 69xx videocards into consideration.

proewkster

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
There's a little problem with having two videocards.

I really want to keep the X-Fi from my old computer because, like I said in the original post, I can connect my guitar and stuff to the front bay and I really think it's an awesome soundcard. This is a PCI card, so I will need a free PCI slot. The Sabertooth has one PCI slot, and with two videocards, this PCI slot is blocked by one of them. Other motherboards either have the same problem, or do not offer the PCI slot at all. That's why I opted for the 5970 because it has phenomenal performance in one card.

By the time the 5970 becomes to slow, I might consider trading in the soundcard for another videocard in XFire. That way I don't have to invest a lot in new components and buying a new soundcard (PCIe) might be more attractive.

Maybe the 6970 or 6990 will do, but I doubt these cards will be more reasonably priced...

The current 6xxx series are more than reasonable priced compared to the 5xxx. Both are much cheaper than the HD 5850 and HD 5870 so.... Also the power consumption is smaller. It's only about 2-3 weeks.

Power problems are most often caused by insufficient quality rather than insufficient wattage. For any single graphics card, get a Seasonic X650.
Otherwise I agree with Wolygon, unless you have benchmarks that show otherwise, and expect to NEED the extra PCIE lanes for Crossfire, you may get all the performance you need from a considerably less expensive i5/760.
If you're planning on overclocking, you'll want an aftermarket cooler. Any of the direct-contact heat pipe coolers will be much better than stock. Check prices, as they seem to bounce around.