1000$ USD P55 build, needs expert advice!- first build

tian105

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Hello everyone! Im fresh to the neiborhood :bounce:
After straigh 20 hours of research, now Im tired as hell.
But just before i go to bed, I have decided to ask you experts about what i have came up with..so far

*will all these parts be compatible?
*also planning on adding another 6870 down the road, as well as another samsung f3 500gb for RAID 0.
will the 700w cooler master be enough?
*please let me know if you have any seggestions to my build.

CPU: i5-760 $170 USD

MOBO:ASRock P55 EXTREME4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $145 USD

GPU:SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB $240 USD

RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $75 USD

Hard drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7,200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM $45USD

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 $100USD

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W $80 USD

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X SATA DVD Burner - OEM $19 USD

Solution

Too much power is poor wording. Better to have more wattage then you need then to have a graphics card or other part of your computer brown out on you and then burn up. Especially if you sli or crossfire 2 graphics cards.

I am personally building my first real computer right now and I am putting 1 nvidia gtx 470 in and then will add another later on. The 470 is alot of bang for the buck they can be over clocked a little past the 480s standard and some say run more smoothly than the HD 6870s.

But they also do run a little higher as far as heat and cost. Dont let people tell you the HD 6870 is just straight up the better option though. Yes, they are slightly...

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If you're going to add in another F3 500GB later on, why not just shell out $10 more for the F3 1TB drive since it's on promo right now?

No point in doing RAID 0 when SSDs are already so much faster. Invest in a good one for a boot drive and you won't regret it. They are about $1.5-2/GB though.

tian105

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010

Thanks! I really like this idea and i have been thinking about this for quite a while. maybe i will just grab a F3 1 TB for now. and add a boot drive later on.

still have a few days for myself to decide!

tian105

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010

Thank you for your response!

I was looking for a modular PSU to be capable of 700w. And the one i found was cheapest out of all options..I guess cheap dosnt work in this case :cry: I will do abit more research on the options you gave me.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003 looks good but it's barely twice as the cost of my previouse PSU selection...

Money changes everything, dosnt it. lol

tian105

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
my opinions and I also speak from past experiences, are this (mind that I think out of the box):
1.) to me nVidia runs better with intel so i would think sli and not crossfire.
2.) 700 coolmaster is good i do not remember if it's sli certified, i've only dealt with those.
3.) are you just building a gaming unit or what else is this for, multi-tasking and gaming together, or one at a time if so.?
that's a big question..
4.) love the HDD's that's how I roll too, maybe on down the line think of adding a SSD first then another HDD
then maybe redo your set-up in RAID with the SSD.
5.) for a few bucks more add the touch of blu-ray

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB
OCZ Technology 60 GB Vertex 2 Series SATA II
SAMSUNG BLU-RAY COMBO 8X BLACK BD ROM/DVD WRITER

i will find a sli version board for you to look at if someone doesn't get to it first.
nVidia is going on sale and the new cards are coming out soon too..

Hi, thank you for you input! I also thought about gtx 470 SLI, which is more expensive, more heat, and more power consumption compared to the HD 6870 CF. This computer will be mainly for gaming at 1080p with ultra details and effects..and multi media purpose, but im also getting into computer science. Maybe for my use, GTX 460 768mb SLI will be just enough? The PSU i mentioned is SLI certified(at least it says that on the box. :pfff: ) also it says crossfire ready(not certified?).. does that mean something to you? please recommend another PSU around 100 bucks that's powerful enough and yet modular if you could..
Also about the Hard drives.. someone eles mentioned about getting a F3 1TB and add a SSD later on. i might as well consider that option..
Lastly, the mobo should support both SLI/CF, but again.. according to the box :na:

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Too much power is poor wording. Better to have more wattage then you need then to have a graphics card or other part of your computer brown out on you and then burn up. Especially if you sli or crossfire 2 graphics cards.

I am personally building my first real computer right now and I am putting 1 nvidia gtx 470 in and then will add another later on. The 470 is alot of bang for the buck they can be over clocked a little past the 480s standard and some say run more smoothly than the HD 6870s.

But they also do run a little higher as far as heat and cost. Dont let people tell you the HD 6870 is just straight up the better option though. Yes, they are slightly cheaper right now which is a key factor to look at but they both have pluses and minuses to them, both are excellent cards especially to sli/crossfire.

In my opinion

single gtx 470 > single HD 6870
single gtx 470 < duel HD 6870s
duel gtx 470s = duel HD 6870's

(This is overclocked as well btw) but yeah thats my thoughts on the matter from what I have read.

Solution