Sign in with
Your question

Upgrades to 3 year old gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2010 7:59:56 AM

Hi guys

I'm starting to think about upgrading my 3 year old gaming PC. It still runs most modern games well at max settings, though I'm starting to see slow down on some of the very latest titles - this is clearly unacceptable ;) 

Basically I'm wondering whether I can get away with just upgrading the CPU, motherboard and RAM for now while keeping the existing graphics card, psu, case etc and still see a good improvement.

The current system is as follows:-

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
4Gb DDR2 PC7200 RAM
Asus P5N32E-SLI motherboard
1Gb ATi Radeon 4870HD graphics card
700W PSU
Antec 900 Gamer case

I was wondering whether the CPU and RAM may be causing a bottleneck for the graphics card since I only bought the graphics card a year or so ago as an upgrade to my original 8800GTS. However, I am thinking about upgrading to an i7 CPU so would the 4870HD in fact end up holding the CPU back or would it still have enough power?

Opinions welcome!? (oh, and recommendations for a good but not necessarily top spec i7 mobo combo would be appreciated too).

thanks

Graham

More about : upgrades year gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 8:26:51 AM

Some new games work better on a quad, you can get the i-5 750/760 on socket 1156 from intel or the cheaper Phenom II X4 socket AM3 from AMD.

The AMD will be some $350 and the Intel some $450.

You can also OC your CPU now and wait for the new sockets from AMD and Intel next year.

http://www.grandtheftpc.com/2010/03/list-of-quad-core-o...

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 9:17:59 AM

1. Don't upgrade the proc, mobo and RAM. Wait untill the AMD Bulldozer and/or Intel Sandy bridge are on the market.

2. Adding a second HD4870 is an option or replace the HD4870 with HD6850 or HD6870.

3. Getting an SSD is also an option.

4. Temporary proc update to Q6600 or Q8200 is also worth considering, although I would prefer waiting for new generation procs.

5. OCing your proc is definitely a good option, if you choose to wait.

6. Upgrade the proc to AM3 X4 965 and get an AM2+ mobo. Keep the DDR2 RAM. Combine this with the GPU upgrade options. Waiting is again more recommendable.

7. Another option is liked written before by mosox. Get i5 or i7 based system, but this means you have to throw away your current proc, mobo, and RAM. Waiting is again more recommendable.

a c 83 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a c 236 U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 2:44:31 PM

You have a reasonably well balanced system. Multiple areas of upgrade may be in order.

To help assess the options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.

I suspect that since you are using max settings, the graphics card may be the most effective option. If you do upgrade, make it a jump of several tiers, something like a GTX480 or 4870X2 or better, otherwise you will be disappointed. This month should see the launch of a GTX580 and amd 69xx series. It will pay to wait to see what comes.

If you go the cpu upgrade route, I would wait on Sandy bridge, which is supposed to launch early January. Who knows when bulldozer will arrive. In the mean time, see if you can't OC your E6600 a bit.
!