Sign in with
Your question

Help Running 2 Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2010 5:52:20 AM

I currently have a gtx 295 graphics card on a 24" Acer LCD monitor
However I have a blu-ray player and want to also run it to my tv with that is vga only.. I have a dvi-vga adapter and my nvidia control panel reads the tv but nothing comes up.. Is this possible to run both?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : running monitors

September 14, 2010 5:57:08 AM

yes it is possible. you have to activate the tv in the control panel which may require a restart. also this probably wont apply but sometimes on certin setups i do i need to change the format the the video is being sent m-pal, pal and whatnot. i think this is just an activation issue though.

im not trying to be a jerk but you did make sure the tv was on the right input right?
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:09:48 AM

the tv is active and still nothing is showing up, as far as changing the format the video is being sent i do not know how to do

lol yes tv is on the right input..
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2010 6:31:39 AM

did you try forcing it to start with windows? if you give me 20 min i can walk you through it im just outside on my netbook having a smoke and i dont have the nvida control panel on here lol
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:33:43 AM

yes, blank screen all the way through. I hear the windows start up sounds etc, with no picture
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:37:28 AM

so both the monitor and the tv are pluged in right? your going to run the tv as an extension? i do the same with my htpc.
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:41:43 AM

letsgetsteve said:
so both the monitor and the tv are pluged in right? your going to run the tv as an extension? i do the same with my htpc.

yes both plugged in, and yes im running the tv as an extension.. or attempting to
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:46:26 AM

ok when you go into set up multipul displays are both screens listed? if so are both boxes in the top selected?
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:49:32 AM

letsgetsteve said:
ok when you go into set up multipul displays are both screens listed? if so are both boxes in the top selected?

yes and yes

however it shows my acer 24" and gives it specs on the tv it just says generic non pnp monitor
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:53:08 AM

i would say try doing in in windows. right click desktop and go to adjust screen resolution. try doing it there or did you already?
m
l
September 14, 2010 6:59:55 AM

yeah ive put it on every resolution with no luck
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:02:32 AM

what is your background set too? man this is a hard one to walk someone through! if i was there it would be easy but this is a pain.
does the tv flicker at all when you start the computer with it plunged in? when i ran my 55" protection thats what i got and then i had to go up to change resolution in the nv control panel and change the tv format untll i got the one i needed.
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:04:40 AM

1024x768?
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:08:20 AM

no sorry i ment is it set to a black background. i did that once before and thought it wasn't working till i moved the mouse over it.
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:09:24 AM

how would i change what background it is set to?
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:10:25 AM

when the tv is on the vga input it says no signal
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:15:56 AM

the tv says it? i would make sure all your cables are nice and tight cause it should still give a ground signal. if you set your desktop background it will show up the same in both screens. this really shouldn't be so hard for you. what tv do you have? and you said its hooked up via vga? not s-video? have you tried switching the dvi outputs on the vid card around? one might have failed?
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:19:58 AM

Yeah it really shouldnt be.. I have a 27" insignia.
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:23:08 AM

did you try switching cables and plugs? could be a fault cable too
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:23:24 AM

i Just tried switching the dvi outputs around and at first nothing came up then when my computer booted into windows my monitor was detected but not the tv.
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:25:03 AM

and ive tried two different vga cables, one was brand new
m
l
September 14, 2010 7:31:33 AM

i would say that you might have a crazy setting in the tv menu that might need to be changed or the vga input on your tv might not be working correctly. i have known tv's that need the vga input enabled so maybe give that a shot. try flipping through all the inputs on the tv while its all plugged in too. it might just be listed under something stupid if it was put together incorrectly... who knows....
m
l
!