I keep dcing in online games

Lythem

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Any online game mmorpg, mmofps... whichever ones come to mind, I disconnect at varying intervals. Sometimes it goes for maybe 3 hours without dc and sometimes 5-10 minutes into it I will dc. It happens for all the games I've played. Whether I'm 5 ft away from the router or in the basement the performance doesnt improve or degrade itself. Whether I change the channel or keep it the same that doesnt help. Perhaps its the age of my computer; I purchased it in late '05. When I do dc im unable to connect to the internet for about 5-10 minutes. This primarily happens with online games but I've had the issue once or twice with regular internet browsing although this is relatively rare. With my most humble request I ask for some help with my issue. Thank you :)

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Its not your computer.... If anything its your Wifi card. The card or the router is prob cheap/old and is not reliable. Ever so often older wifi cards/routers will fart for half a second and in the half of second you loose everything because you have to be constantly connected....

For more details wait for a more experienced poster.

Edit: Also make sure your drivers are up to date.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Has this problem just started?
How do you connect to the internet?
It could be your provider as well.
I have ADSL thru phone line. When I see the technician in the box at the end of the street I can't download anything large without a disconnect.