SSD bricked or ATA password corrupted?

I have an Intel 320 series SSD (160GB) Had it for about 2 years, yesterday I turned on my laptop and put in my BIOS password to start my computer and I received a wonderful Operating System Not Found.

During my troubleshooting this is what I found:
SSD Shows in BIOS correctly, has model number, correct LBA #, and drive size of 160GB.
When i type in my boot password the computer hangs for a minute than leaves the password screen.
If I type in the password wrong I immediately get invalid password.
I changed the password to blank and the old password still exists on the SSD.
I put the SSD in another computer and Intel RST notified me that my SSD is locked and I need to input my password, thought easy enough, did that got an invalid password error. Tried a few other things none of which worked.
Unfortunately my last backup is so old it's useless.
This doesnt appear to be the 8MB or 0MB brick. Firmware is the lastest version allowed by the newest Intel SSD Toolbox.
Yes the drive is under warranty (2 years into its 5 year warranty) However it is much preferred if I could actually recover the data.

So I am now down to attempting to brute-force the password and I have no idea where to start / what to use to do this? As I dont feel like I have any other options.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

popatim

Titan
A Bios password does not put a password on the SSD/HDD
Some systems do allow putting in an HDD password, if so then in the bios on the same screen where you set the password will be a HDD Master ID. Contact the manufacturer of the system (not the hdd/ssd) and they will guide you from their. Please Note you will need to prove you are the legitimate owner of the system so you might need to have your friend on the line with you.

I meant to say HDD password. I can type in the HDD Password and it goes (long delay though) and if I myself the password I instantly get invalid password, so what I am doing is correct. Besides the system is long out of warranty (over 2 years out of warranty) and the SSD was not included with the system, it was part of various upgrades I did to it. Would there be any benefit to contacting the manufacturer of the laptop?

On all the computers except for the one that "broke" it it shows it being 160GB. However loading it on the computer that the drive was bricked in and Booting to Hirens Boot CD and opening Victoria the serial number I see there is BAD_CTX 00000152 with a size of 8192KB. On any the other computers I get the actual serial number and the full drive size(160GB). Something is very weird here.

I have opened a case with Intel and I'll see how it goes but I am getting the feeling that I will probably loose everything that is on it.

On a side note the BIOS is acting rather strange, navigating it sometimes take several minutes.

HAYDEN1967

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Snipergod87,

I was wondering if you have any experience with encrypted SSD. I am using TrueCrypt and whole drive encryption option. I access the SSD by connecting it to an external 3-in-1 SATA adapter. I access the attached SSD with the password... and then I make updates to the data on the drive. When I try to boot to the updated drive in the computer its "Bricked" and wants a repair to be done with the operating system disk. I am using windows 7. Have you seen any posts concerning this or know of a solution to resolve this? Also... I can connect it back into the 3-in-1 SATA adapter and it is recognized and I can gain access to it with the TrueCrypt application with its password. Thank you. Hayden Please contact me at .... jnedyah@gmail.com

I have not seen this issue before it would be best to create your own thread, the encryption I was using was the encryption built into the SSD. I have no idea why it wont boot maybe the truecrypt boot record got messed up, you should use the recovery cd

TRENDING THREADS