Ram Suggestions?

a1l3

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
kk so to cut it somewhat short

im running a lenovo z570 with an intel i5-2410m as the brain, officially it supports ddr-1333

the question is which brand to buy?

im wanting to upgrade the poor 2x2gb ram it came with for a 8gb(2x4gb) of higher quality/performance and i just don't know enough about the sodimm market to pull the trigger on any quite yet

in the past ive always bought corsair for my pc memory and in fact purchased a pair of dominator GTs capable of running ddr-2000 last summer which i now have at home running @ 1600 6-6-7-6-28 timings, so needless to say im comfortable with corsair though as ive heard corsair isnt the way to go for laptops?

ofc i wont get that type of performance on a laptop but was hoping to get any recommendations/suggestions on what to buy that should survive the test of time better than the cardboard sticks in this lenovo atm

i keep hearing good things about hyper x and also g-skill

remember that with any suggestions i live in canada XD

Unless your BIOS has an option like 'DRAM/Memory Frequency' then the RAM is going to run at 'Default' 'SPD' of DDR3-1333 even if DDR-1600 or faster is installed. This is a very common limitation to 'most' OEM PC's and Notebooks. So to speed up the RAM find ultra-low CAS DDR3-1333 e.g CAS 7-7-7-21.

I find Crucial or G.SKILL SO-DIMM Kits to be plenty good.

Also, you MUST have a 64-bit OS for >4GB support. Further, unless you are running into 'low memory' you won't notice a thing except a lighter wallet.

Upgrade IF Used Physical Memory is >70%; example:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif