Upgrade CPU or GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWorthy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Long time reader, first time poster here: I have an E6300 Conroe on a GA-965P-S3 rev. 1.0 mobo and would like to get better fps in my games (HL2 - All variations & Dragon Age). My current GPU is a PNY 9800GT (1Gb). Should I expect performance gains from an HD 5770 or is my CPU going to bottleneck it?

Solution
You can get a new aftermarket cpu cooler like the coolermaster hyper 212+.It will not cost you much.If your case can support a side fan, get one to blow air directly on to the CPU heatsink.That should further aid in cooling.Upgrading to a 5770 will give you a good boost, though you could wait for the new ATi cards which are coming out in November.

NotWorthy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a stock cooler so am a little concerned about overclocking. Started last night and got to x7 and 310 FSB - CPU temp reached 65C, but didn't really play with voltages. Could you give me any suggestions to go from here? Will I need to get better cooling?

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
You can get a new aftermarket cpu cooler like the coolermaster hyper 212+.It will not cost you much.If your case can support a side fan, get one to blow air directly on to the CPU heatsink.That should further aid in cooling.Upgrading to a 5770 will give you a good boost, though you could wait for the new ATi cards which are coming out in November.

Solution
See my rig below, i have E6300 and GA 965P-DS3 (rev 1.0) too... :)
I want to get hyper 212+ but it's so hard to find here in my country, so i choose Zigmatek, it drop the temps more than 10'C (depend on room temps).
You can OC it to 2.3GHz (1.8GHz stock) without raising the VCore.

Status
Not open for further replies.