Iomega External Harddrive not found

mcastillotx

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I have a win7 64 bit system and my Iomega 1TB 2.o USB external drive worked for 1 year then simply stopped connecting. I reconnected using my IDE SATE cable and I still cannot extract files. The TB needs software to open the files. The drivers are no help. I contacted Iomega and they were no help and said I need to send my hard drive to them to get it extracted at a cost. That is ridiculous and as I researched, this is a common issue with Win 7. So I tried with my win xp and another Win 7 computer to no avail. Yet again, I called Iomega and they were no help. Does anyone have this software I could download?

I don't know which software you are referring to as my Iomega external drive works without any software except the generic driver which is built-in to Windows 7 & Vista. Indeed, no software was supplied with the drive, proof that none is required to use it.

Iomega may well be right. The drive may have failed, in which case the only way to extract the data is by professional data recovery which doesn't come cheap. I also have to say you would not be facing the real possibility of lost data if you had kept it all backed up on another hard drive or optical discs.

You can test the drive with SeaTools for Windows to either prove or disprove the manufacturer's claim that it needs sending back to them: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

ecryptthis

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

ecryptthis

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I have a Win 7-64bit - i7, 24 gigs Ram, Zero Raid, I took the Iomega drive and connected to a laptop using Windows Vista and bam, I can access all my files, but had to access as admin, so I learned my Iomega HD was still good.

On my large machine I could only see that the Iomega was online, but it had no drive letter and I could not read it, in disk management I could right click but there was no options there to help assign it a drive letter that worked or allowed me to make any changes.

So I reconnected it to my big machine Win7 - Home Premium i7 - 24gigs - Ram, Zero Raid. I went into Device Manager and I uninstalled the Iomega External HD at Disk Drives, and with out restarting the machine I then scanned for Hardware Changes and it located the Iomega and it brought it completely back online and assigned it a drive letter also. Prior to that it was only online and visible in disk management but not visible anywhere inside window period, it would not show in explorer/anywhere. Problem Solved!!! Down I'm watching a movie off of it 42 Jackie Robinson. GOOD LUCK!!