Hard Drive not detected

scianima

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I recently upgraded to a gigabyte za68 mobo and i7 2600K and I used my old hardware such as DVDRW, RAM, and HDD but my computer doesn't recognize the hard drive. When the computer starts it says disk boot error. I have replaced all the sata cables and power cables and it is still not booting. I can hear the HDD spin up.

Solution
First - if you are using an old hdd and it already has an operating system on it then it normally will not boot up to a new motherboard, no matter whether it's sata 2 or 3, because it has the old boards drivers installed so that's what it's looking for. That's why your getting a disk boot error. It can't find the information in the boot sector it's looking for to boot. Boot error usually means that bios found everything it needs to work so it hands off the next boot step to windows, and that's where the boot error comes in. If you disconnect your drive and start your computer you will get a different message - and probably some error beep codes lol. If you go into bios, (Del key during boot I believe), you can check to make sure...

suteck

Distinguished
First - if you are using an old hdd and it already has an operating system on it then it normally will not boot up to a new motherboard, no matter whether it's sata 2 or 3, because it has the old boards drivers installed so that's what it's looking for. That's why your getting a disk boot error. It can't find the information in the boot sector it's looking for to boot. Boot error usually means that bios found everything it needs to work so it hands off the next boot step to windows, and that's where the boot error comes in. If you disconnect your drive and start your computer you will get a different message - and probably some error beep codes lol. If you go into bios, (Del key during boot I believe), you can check to make sure that it sees the hdd there - which I'm pretty sure it will. You will need to reinstall your operating system in order for it to boot. You might can set a partition during installation boot on your current drive but there's a good chance it will make your other data unreadable. If you have important, don't want to lose, data on the old drive then you will want to buy a cheap used or new drive, ( or a new 1 TB drive for about $60), and install your OS on that and just use your old drive as storage. But of course you will need an OS disk to do the installation.

Solution
Possible problem - Prior to LGA 1155 {IDE} was the default for SATA, but with your LGA 1155 the new default is AHCI.

Assuming the OLD HDD is the only HDD, boot into the BIOS and for now change SATA -> AHCI to SATA -> IDE and 'try' booting again...