Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can memory run at 1.65v in 1.5v dimm

Last response: in Memory
September 30, 2011 9:43:31 AM

I just ordered a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 mb along with Some Adata DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 memory, model # AX3U1600GB2G9-2G. I checked on the Gigabyte site and this memory is on the qvc list as being compatible. I went back to the Gigabyte website to get the latest bios to flash on the mb(if it is not up to date) and noticed that the dimms are rated at 1.5v. The memory is rated at 1.65v. I am fairly sure that I can run it at 1.5 at 1333. I'm not positive of this though. Can i run it at the memories rated voltage of 1.65v to get the rated speed of 1600(the adata site said it will actually overclock to 2000)Will the mb be able to handle this.?

More about : memory run 65v dimm

a b } Memory
September 30, 2011 2:33:49 PM

If it is on the QVL there won't be any trouble at all getting it to run at 1333MHz, and you should be able to get it up to 1600MHz without raising the voltage much (if at all)

I wouldn't try to get it over that since OCing memory is not noticeable and gives maybe a 1-2% performance increase

That said, it is never a good idea to run RAM that is rated for a different voltage. The fact that it is on the QVL means it will work, but it's not necessarily a good idea.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 30, 2011 2:46:33 PM

AFAIK, only Sandy Bridge boards should not exceed 1.5V for their RAM due to possible processor damage.
Whether or not you can get the DDR3-1600 speed out of your RAM is something I can't answer. A better option may be to try to tighten the timings. Instead of running CAS9 at 1600, see if it will run at CAS8 at 1333.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
September 30, 2011 2:50:56 PM

and if it's not on the QVL there won't be any problem. just stick with the stock timing and voltages recommendation.

i had an OCZ platinum that was in the QVL and i had the PC restarted and BSOD until i got the G.Skill which wasn't in the QVL and it works perfectly.

according to the Phenom II specs, the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) has a native support of DDR3 1333 MHz and running RAM above that can damage it overtime.... i was told that by AMD itself.

Besides there are a slight difference performance when operating RAM at 1600 MHz over 1333 Mhz, and overclocking beyond 1600 helps only in Extreme Overclocking.
a b } Memory
September 30, 2011 2:53:18 PM

itzdanielp said:
That said, it is never a good idea to run RAM that is rated for a different voltage. The fact that it is on the QVL means it will work, but it's not necessarily a good idea.

I run my RAM @ 1333 with 1.5V, and i was able to run it @ 1600 with 1.5V stable even though it's rated at 1.6V stock.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 30, 2011 2:55:14 PM

Never said it was impossible, people do it all the time ;) 

Just saying it isn't a good idea unless you know what you are doing :D 
m
l
a b } Memory
September 30, 2011 3:06:44 PM

the voltages labeled on each RAM from each manufacturer means the Maximum voltages that the RAM can run at without having problems. some chips require more than 1.5V to work properly and some other don't .

we've seen recently G.skill sniper kits that work at 1600 MHz 1.35V for sandy bridge platforms
m
l
September 30, 2011 3:27:52 PM

I am strictly staying with what ever voltage is stamped on the dimms themselves on the Motherboard. You will find a small number such as 1.5 v in the middle of the dimms.

So I go find ram at 1.5 to suit. I have chosen a different motherboard because the Ram I want would not match at whatever voltage.

See, voltage is a double edge sword. It can be stable and run well or if abused and pushed, simply fry your stuff.
m
l
October 2, 2011 11:55:47 PM

u gee x Heavy this board that i bought has the highest rating of all the boards with the new chipset. buying another new board is not an option. rmaing the memory is. I have not even received these items yet. and your telling me to buy a different mb and change the ram. On top of that u did not even bother to answer my questions. just make comments to get yourself heard i guess. i thing everyone here knows that overvolting can cause stress on circuits. Do yourself a favor and keep your "intellegent sarcastic" comments to yourself. To everyone else thank you for your input.
m
l
October 3, 2011 6:37:31 AM

Buy the ram or buy the board. As long both match in voltage.

Otherwise overclock one or the other in Bios.

There is nothing sarcastic. Just a cold basic fact. Match voltage and that is all there is to it. If it requires selling one or the other to use the money towards a correct part then stop writing about me and go to it.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 4, 2011 9:32:57 AM

DDR3 rated for 1.65V failed testing at 1.5V. It may still be possible to run it reliably at 1.5V if it is underclocked, but I would not do that, nor would I ever buy 1.65V memory.
m
l
October 7, 2011 5:00:49 AM

Ok here's the answer. Turns out i found out myself. while the dimms state 1.5, the manual that comes with the mb says that 1.675v is the max for the dimms. i installed the memory and it defaulted to 1333. went in and and manually set the memory to 1600@9-9-9-24 and left the the voltage control on auto. it is running stable at 1.49v for 8 hours on prime95 plus the 965be cpu is running stable at 3.825@1.42v max temp on prime95 51c. turns out the Adata memory is a good fit for this board and it runs at a lower voltage then stated on their website. Of course it may be i just got some really good sticks. Oh i also have been gaming BC2 all day and not a problem. GA-970A-UD3 this one solid board so far. Thanks for the help guys
m
l
October 7, 2011 5:02:39 AM

Best answer selected by urbancamper.
m
l
October 7, 2011 5:09:14 AM

ilysaml said:
I run my RAM @ 1333 with 1.5V, and i was able to run it @ 1600 with 1.5V stable even though it's rated at 1.6V stock.

Thanks man. everyone else was way off the mark. this memory is running great it 1600 @1.49 on auto volt select after 8 hours on prime95. These other guys where freaking me out. Also have my 965be at 38.25@1.42v with no problems. max temp prime95 51c max temp gaming 48c. gonna try to take the cpu to 4.0/should be able to considering the temps and volts on it now. Thanks again brother your answer was right on the money.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 7, 2011 11:48:03 AM

urbancamper said:
Thanks man. everyone else was way off the mark. this memory is running great it 1600 @1.49 on auto volt select after 8 hours on prime95. These other guys where freaking me out. Also have my 965be at 38.25@1.42v with no problems. max temp prime95 51c max temp gaming 48c. gonna try to take the cpu to 4.0/should be able to considering the temps and volts on it now. Thanks again brother your answer was right on the money.

glad to hear that everything running okay :) 
m
l
!