Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hooking up my TV Tuner Card to a TV set

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2010 3:40:44 PM

I've used my Windows XT PC to watch and record TV for a few years via Windows Media Center. I playback in a window on my monitor. I'd like to watch what I've recorded and watch live TV on a television set in my office through Media Center. I connected the TV via composite connectors (yellow, red and white) and I went through what I think was the setup program in Media Center. No matter what I try I cannot get a signal to my TV. My TV recognized the connection but says there is no signal. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

More about : hooking tuner card set

September 14, 2010 3:47:37 PM

You won't like what you see but, Go digital with hdmi/dvi
What resolution are you running? lower to 800 x 600
You may have to set up thru graphics card software. swich the output of card.
Score
September 14, 2010 4:48:47 PM

Thanx for the reply. My only options with my video card are S-Video and composite. The card was provided by Dell at the factory when originally purchased. I looked in control panel but couldn't find anything enabling me to adjust the card. Any other suggestions? Thanx again.
Score
Related resources
September 14, 2010 5:20:40 PM

I recommend upgrading the video card to one that has HDMI/DVI outputs.
You can get by with a 55xx series ATI card.
Score
September 14, 2010 7:18:16 PM

What sense does it make to replace the video card? Suppose I had a TV with older inputs? What would that accomplish. I appreciate your comments but its not a solution to my problem.
Score
September 14, 2010 7:29:12 PM

Opps, sorry late in the day for me. Just don't think sometimes.
Score
September 14, 2010 7:34:16 PM

When you plug in the tv is the computer still connected?
Score
September 14, 2010 8:00:44 PM

I made my connections while both computer and TV were off. I previously checked my settings on Media Center and everything was correct. When I turn on the TV after the computer has Media Center running it recognizes the connection by highlighting the selection in my "Input" menu but tells me there is no signal via this connection. Thanx again.
Score
a b x TV
September 14, 2010 11:37:13 PM

Did you enable the TV as a second monitor? Both major graphic card chipset manufacturers (AMD/ATI and NVidia) include control software that allows you to set up these configurations. For AMD/ATI, it's called Catalyst Control Center. Unfortunately, I don't recall what NVidia calls their program.
If you did enable the TV as a second monitor, did you set up the TV as a duplicate/clone of your monitor or as an extension?
What resolution are you using on your Monitor?
What resolution can you use with your TV?

-Wolf sends
Score
September 15, 2010 12:00:43 AM

Thanx for the reply. I have the second TV connected to the output of my TV tuner card via composite cables (video and sound). From what you write I believe I have to connect my TV via a cable from my video card. Is this correct. What about the output on my TV tuner? Should I disregard that? I have an antiquated ATI Radeon X600 video card with 256 MB memory D-sub and DVI output. I got to the ATI control software via the "Advanced" button on "Settings" in Display Properties. Since I don't have the TV yet connected I don't see a second monitor or TV listed. I presume once a TV is connected I will be able to work with it. Thanx again for your help.
Score
a b x TV
September 15, 2010 2:44:06 AM

Ok. What TV Tuner Card do you have and are you certain the ports you've connected the TV to are output ports? If they are output ports, then yes, The TV should be connected to the TV Tuner card. Otherwise, it should be connected via the graphics card. Again, without knowing which TV Tuner card you have, we can't say for sure, but since you're getting a "No Signal" message on your TV, I'm guessing they're actually inputs.

What I would try (after replying with what TV Tuner you have) is shutting down your system, connect the TV to the graphics card, and then powering up the system. Go into Catalyst Control Center and see if your system recognizes two displays.

-Wolf sends
Score
September 16, 2010 12:12:37 AM

It took me a while to find this info. I evidently have an Happauge WinTV PVR PCI II (26xxx) which was installed at the Dell factory. According to the research I've done the card does not have any output (unless I'm wrong). I don't find any info for a WinTV PVR PCI II but the WinTV PVR150 is also model number 26xxx so I presume they're one and the same. I presume I'll have to connect my video card to the TV. Will my TV accept an HDMI cable from my video card or do I have to use the D-Sub(since its labeled for PC connection)? Thank you.
Score

Best solution

a b x TV
September 16, 2010 3:18:47 AM

I'd say go ahead and connect the TV via the HDMI port. If that doesn't work (you may need to adjust the resolution) then try the D-Sub.

Just for reference, I have my HTPC connected to my Olevia 32" HDTV via the HDMI port (my cable box connects to the HDTV using the Component cables and to my TV Tuner card via the coax output). In order to get an image on my HDTV, I had to drop the resolution from it's native 1366x768 to 1280x720. This was with a new (at the time) ATI HD2600Pro. I've since replaced that card with an ATI HD 4670 (with a native HDMI port). Now, the only "resolution" that I can get an image on my HDTV is 1080i @ 30Hz.

Whether or not this is typical, I don't know. This is just what I went through.

-Wolf sends
September 16, 2010 11:25:19 AM

Thanx for the info. Now I have to remove my TV from the wall to connect some cables. Poor planning on my part. I should have connects a bunch of cables while I had the chance and labeled them for future use. Lesson learned. Thanx again for your help. I think I'm going to get an HD tuner card as you did.
Score
September 16, 2010 11:25:35 AM

Best answer selected by negril.
Score
September 16, 2010 6:56:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!