Sign in with
Your question

Which Motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 30, 2011 11:47:52 AM

Hey guys!
I am making a computer, as you can see i posted a thread about GFX card's in the GFX card forum. I am finalising my build as i hope to order parts in the next week / 2. For my motherboard all i want is it to keep cool, support CrossFireX and SLi, decent memory slots. I have done a ton of research and am LIMITED as to what i can get. I live in Australia and the site which i will be purchasing all my parts from is www.pccasegear.com So these are the best few boards i could find.
AsRock - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
MSI - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
Asus - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... (Will this fit 2 x HD 6970's or 2 x GTX 580's?)
Explore the site and report back :) 
Will be using a Core i5 2500K and Top end GFX cards. Need to make sure they can fit 2 cards with breathing space so they don't overheat! Please help :) 

More about : motherboard

a c 121 V Motherboard
September 30, 2011 2:29:14 PM

All of the boards you chose are good boards, my gut reaction is to go with the Asus ROG Board. Those boards are extremely well made, and work like they are supposed to.

That said, since you linked the M-ATX board a couple of cards in SLI or XFire is going to be tight. There is room for a 2-slot space card between the PCIe slots, so a lot of 580's / 6970's will fit. But not a lot of wiggle room.

After that I would probably go with the MSI board over the ASRock. Yes, I know Asus owns ASRock, but they are a stripped down cheap version.
m
l
October 1, 2011 3:21:28 AM

itzdanielp said:
All of the boards you chose are good boards, my gut reaction is to go with the Asus ROG Board. Those boards are extremely well made, and work like they are supposed to.

That said, since you linked the M-ATX board a couple of cards in SLI or XFire is going to be tight. There is room for a 2-slot space card between the PCIe slots, so a lot of 580's / 6970's will fit. But not a lot of wiggle room.

After that I would probably go with the MSI board over the ASRock. Yes, I know Asus owns ASRock, but they are a stripped down cheap version.

I beg to differ, they do not seem like 'stipped down cheap versions'. They are quality products from what i have heard. Show me where it says they are cheap and nasty?
m
l
Related resources
October 1, 2011 3:23:18 AM

The asus looks like a great board, but why did they make it so small :( 
m
l
October 1, 2011 11:33:06 AM

no problem asus is a good mobo its your choice but i recommend you and asus p8p67 or p8pz68 mobo
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
October 3, 2011 2:31:49 PM

Sammells said:
I beg to differ, they do not seem like 'stipped down cheap versions'. They are quality products from what i have heard. Show me where it says they are cheap and nasty?

Just look around the forums here, I see people all day long with issues with ASRocks, and many of the senior members here agreeing with what I was saying.
m
l
October 3, 2011 4:09:48 PM

itzdanielp said:
Just look around the forums here, I see people all day long with issues with ASRocks, and many of the senior members here agreeing with what I was saying.

"Just look around the forums here" and you will see that 99% of problems have nothing to do with the brand and are directly user-related.

The Asrock or MSI boards are probably fine for you. I would probably stay away from that particular Asus board not because of the "brand" but because that board doesn't even have a PCI slot. If you are certain you will never want to add any PCI card, this would not necessarily be a negative for you. It's a huge negative for me. I still always want at least 2 PCI slots on any board.
The Asrock Z68 Fat Pro Gen3 board is my first Asrock board, but as an actual owner of the board I can highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed. Much easier, smoother, faster set-up than any of my previous Asus or Gigabyte boards. And check the specs or go look at the board and you will see there is nothing "stripped down" about it. On the contrary, it's top of the line. Just do your research and check the specs, read the reviews, which it sounds like you are doing.
m
l
October 3, 2011 7:19:03 PM

I highly recommend the ASRock Fatal1ty z68 Pro Gen3 as the mobo of choice. I been using this mobo for 3 weeks now (replacing my older Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67 mobo). So far this mobo stood out of the rest. I've used Asus, Gigabyte & MSI mobos in the past but ASRock proved to be the best brand of them all.

This mobo's PCIe placement are exactly right. If you plan on running a discrete PCIe X1 sound card, you won't have any problems with this board. If you used the Asus top mobo it's impossible. Same as the Gigabyte top mobo, the Northbridge heatsink of the mobo is too huge it's impossible to place a PCIe X1 sound card.

Gen3 is also the way to go. It's almost the end of the year. By next year, Gen3 mobos & video cards will be coming out. This will make the previous gen set up slow. :D 
m
l
October 4, 2011 5:06:27 AM

Also beware of Gigabyte Gen3 mobos. It's known to have fake Gen3...

m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 7:28:22 AM

Hmm I've had a hit / miss relationship with ASRock boards. Lots of them are complete crap, usually due to bad / cheap components. BUT, then they make a few boards that are a complete dream and work perfectly with zero problems. I remember this awesome AMD Athlon board I had once from ASRock, worked without any issues at all. Everything worked exactly as stated and it ran rock solid until I upgraded.

So its hit / miss, some are good some are bad. The bad ones are REALLY bad, but the good ones are super insane good.
m
l
!