Which processor is best for multitasking and mid range 3D gaming

sekarsms

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hi, good day.which desktop processor is best for normal 3D games, multitasking, online TV shows? somebody guide me to go with AMD, and somebody with Intel i series.
i want integrated graphics. My budget is within US$350~400.

Depends on your vender's prices. I like my i3 530 for overall value and performance. But for gaming, I would go for the 760 i5, 4670 video card, and an h55 motherboard with 4 ram slots. You can spend more for the newer sandy bridge 1155 cpus and boards, but I doubt they are worth an extra $100. For amd, the 1055t will work fine; the 95 watt version would be nice, but are hard to find. If you want to use onboard graphics, select the Intel cpus with care. The 760 has no onboard graphic support, while the i3 has the graphics on the cpu die; the p55 boards don't have onboard, while most h55's do. All the amd boards still have the onboard graphics on the motherboard, not the cpu.

sekarsms

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

Thank you for your inputs. Now i have some idea, i re-consider about my new built.

Hello ---

If you post from where you will be purchasing your components we may better help you. A specific list of components you need will help, also, and any preferences you may have for brand name products.

For around $150US an AMD AthlonII X3 450 Rana and AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard is a good start. Can't get much better than the on-board Radeon HD4250 graphics -- but we are talking "medium- to low-quality at 1024x768", right? Don't expect more than that, BUT ...

Some Radeon HD4250 IGP motherboards will allow for some nice over-clocking on the graphics -- some have on-board video frame-buffers called 'SidePort'. HD4250 also supports hardware acceleration of HD video. Some with USB3 & SATA 6GBs. And (not flame-baiting) AMD drivers are a bit more refined.

For your multi-tasking you need a fast hard drive like the Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB and toss in 4GB (2 x 2GB) of DDR3 1333.

That's $250US.

If you make me spend $400 or so, a 64GB SSD would make that multi-tasking quite snappy :lol: along with a Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 to boost that 3D gaming.

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
COrrect me if I'm wrong but I thought that the processor is the main component to upgrade for better multitasking, and the hard drive upgrade is too increase boot up speed of programs and read and write speed

^^^^^^
What he says about gaming reflects 'multi-tasking' too, but from a different angle.

Disk I/O and memory play quite a large part in performance multi-tasking. Processors these days from both AMD & Intel spend more time lolly-gagging around waiting for your memory and HDDs. Doubling/tripling the R/Ws speed with an SSD is multi-tasking nirvana.

Also - using the AMD AthlonII X3 450 Rana from above as an example, tweaking the memory can lead to 20% performance leaps in bandwidth and latency.

With a clock at 250MHz, SSD 3xR/W speeds and tweaked RAMs your multi-tasking should feel quite snappy :bounce:

TomCat1

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Here is a collection of computer systems from which you can make selection while remaining in budget:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AELZ2IA?tag=informati0c0c-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B00AELZ2IA&adid=17NDWCHT42ASQR6R4NQ2&