hilbertron

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Ihave been successful in building and asusm4a785td board 700w ocz 4Gb Gskill ripjaw AMD Phenom2 x6 with xp sp3 setup. I installed a sapphire vaporx 5770 video card and the pc won't power on if I remove the card it will turn on. I am sure my psu is fine is my card dead or should I try something, if do what?

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Oh dear. Have you tried the card in a different slot? Do you get any error beeps from POST? Are all your power connections secure? My PSU (Corsair 1000W) has blue and black connections. The blue ones are for high power devices such as GPU, where as the black ones are for HD's etc. Are you sure you have your connections in the right devices?

hilbertron

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
No beeps. I am using a pci-e power cable that came with my psu plugged into the red slots the plug is red so i figured thats where it went. My fans lights blink and then nothing happens. I have tried it in both slots.

Sounds like a bad ATI 5770. :( It can happen.

Trying the GFX 5200 PCI card doesn't necessarily rule things out. The best thing to do is try another PCI-E card just to make sure your motherboard isn't the one having a problem with it's PCI-E socket. Though I'd guess there's a better chance it's the video card.

hilbertron

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
O.k. pci worked so I tried a different pci-e cable and it turned on. However during installation of the drivers my pc crashed page faults and lots of different error issue ending in lsass. After many attempts to fix I just chkdsk /r fresh install, however I am having windows update issues now and pc hangs at safe mode select screen. I have recovered from a few critical errors and had to chkdsk /r twice to fix the files system. The 5770 is in and working when it boots up so I at least one step closer.

Anyone else notice that he switched PCI-E power cables and things started working suddenly?

Could he be having a power problem?

Also, with reference to video driver conflicts. You can go into the BIOS for the motherboard and disable the integrated/onboard video with most motherboards. :) You can then also set "Primary Display" to PCI-E on many boards.

hilbertron

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

It was a bad cable. Everything is working now. Chkdsk recovered bad sectors so taht must have been part of the probelem. I had already setup the 5770 as primary and disabled the integrated gpu. Thanks for all the help.