SSD PCIe vs SATA ?

J4buk

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hi,

What would be an advantage of installing PCIe SSD over SSD SATA drive or WD raptor HDD? Would that improve speed of transfer ? Reliability ?
PCIe SSD cost a lot more....
Does anyone has experience of installing and using it?

THX

pcie is faster than sata. ssd is faster than a hdd. pcie is faster and its mean for hardcore users who don't care about price
idk what you mean by experience its just a pcie card

J4buk

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Experience running OS on it for example. Will i notice the difference?
I use WD raptor and I think it might be the time to move on...If it's worth the money of course
I saw some forums and some of them they recommend it the others no...
Most of the people think it's too expensive...

You will notice a huge improvement going from a raptor (HDD) to a sata SSD. Although I'm sure the PCIe SSD is faster than a sata SSD, I think you will be just as happy with the sata SSD and save money in the process.

The SSD will improve load times. Your programs will run essentially the same.

You will notice the difference between the hdd and the ssd, but not between sata and pci-e. What you see on a pc is the reduced access / seek time of the ssd compared to a hdd (1ms to 13ms). Advantage of the pci-e cards is the fit of the firmware, because they don't have to care about the sata controller. That improves the transfer rate for very high i/o number, like they occur in database servers. Irrelevant for pc's, save the money for something else.

J4buk

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
I saw OCZ RevoDrive and VeloDrive... Over 500€ for decent capacity...

Than i found this
OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid 1TB PCI-E SS for 350€ in comparison to 512Gb SSd for 500€
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1744/1/

Will that do the trick or is better to get SATA SSD?

J4buk

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Samsung 830 Series 512Gb SATA SSD price 499 €

Read: Up to 520 MB/s
Write: Up to 400 MB/s
Max Random Write 4KB (Aligned): 80,000 IOPS

OCZ RevoDrive 3 480Go PCIe price 521 €

Read: Up to 1000 MB/s
Write: Up to 925 MB/s
Max Random Write 4KB (Aligned): 130,000 IOPS

should i go for RevoDrive according to specs?

Specs are nice, but real world usage is different. As noidea77 stated, "That improves the transfer rate for very high i/o number, like they occur in database servers. Irrelevant for pc's, save the money for something else."

In the end, it's your hard earned money to spend. Take our advice or leave it.

J4buk

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
THX a lot for your time and patience .... :)
I know it might seem silly questions to you but to me is all about getting the right thing...

I will do some more digging on the real life benchmarks....

BTW what type of HHD do you use Hawkeye22?

Take a look at Other World Computings pcie SSDs. www.macsales.com They do work in PCs or Macs and are bootable. They are still pricey, but worth it if you need that sort of speed.

I use a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB and it easily benches over 500MB/s reads and writes.

I don't need that much performance in my computers. I stick with western digital black HDD's. I'm sure I could get away with using their blue drives, but the blacks carry a 5 year warranty.

jason9922

Aug 19, 2009
Your crazy man I would never go back to a mechanical hard drive again period! I bought my first SSD like 5 years ago which was just a cheap Kingston 64GB OS SSD I think I paid around $100 for it. I've never used a regular mechanical HDD since and whenever I fix a computer / laptop or reinstall Windows it's literally aggravating to use old HDD's. Now I use a Samsung 840 Evo like someone else above said they did and once your use to 8 second boot up times from a totally off ice cold laptop you'll never go back. Everything with SSD's is so instantaneous once you've used you'll never go back. I've talked so many people into getting a small SSD to use as a OS drive to save money and then push there HDD over to the optical drive (because people rarely use those anymore either and the people that do I just put there optical drives in a $8 OD caddy off eBay and they have it to use whenever.) But I've turned peoples old as* Dell Insprion laptops into crazy fast duo core laptops just by moving the hdd over to a caddy and putting a 64GB ssd in there older sata II slots. Even on Sata II it makes an amazing difference. I would suggest to anyone who makes it to this thread to try a small 64GB SSD if they don't want to spend the money. You can get a new one Newegg right now that's $35! $35 to make your laptop or desktop 10 times faster at everything it does? Not even a choice..........

Papu D

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014

64GB seems small to accommodate both Win 7 or 8 plus any other programs that have to be located with it to run. Wouldn't you use something like a 128 or 256GB SSD in a more current machine?

mcinjere2

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
. I went with a 128Gb Intel 3 series in 2011 and that has been too Small to install gaming programs but should work fine for most people who don't need to install larger games and such.

TRENDING THREADS