Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build - Thoughts and Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 4, 2010 1:24:01 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Once I finish my college applications -.-

Budget Range: 1800 with everything but i want it to come down a lot...

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming intensive, movies, normal computer stuff when youre bored..

Parts Not Required: Starting from scratch :( 

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Doesnt really matter..but i do like intel :) 

Overclocking: Yes, going for atleast 4GHz

SLI or Crossfire: Yes around christmas time hopefully

Monitor Resolution: It will be 1920x1080

Additional Comments: So i have an initial build I have been planning for the past 2 to 3 weeks and it has everything I need...but it is 1800 dollars before shipping and taxes which is not what I initially intended it to be....I want to have some great performance (max on basically any game I play: CoD, WoW, Starcraft 2, etc...) Is there anything I could cut to make this a lot cheaper but still have the same performance or very close to it?

Here is my set up:

CD/DVD BURNER: SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black EIDE/ATAPI Model SH-S222A - OEM $16.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PC CASE: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

STORAGE HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $69.99 Discount From Promo Code EMCZYNW52 $15.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU/GRAPHICS CARD: SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support $239.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM: Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 Speakers $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GAMING KEYBOARD: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard $52.95
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GAMING MOUSE: Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM/MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM $84.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


PSU/MOTHERBOARD COMBO: Combo: 540812 $329.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $10.00 REBATE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard $20.00 REBATE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


PROCESSOR/HEATSINK: Combo: 541516 $242.99
http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-3463938-10521304?sid=&URL=...

HEATSINK: CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm Dual-Fan CPU Cooler $15 REBATE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MONITOR: LG W2486L Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DC 2000000:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 Ultimate? - $269

Total about 1800 :(  :( 

Thanks for any comments and suggestions...
November 4, 2010 3:44:20 AM

You can shave some case here.

PSU - $ 100 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo -$ 150 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or better yet - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case - $90 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


For OS you can pick either 64bit or 32bit and it'll cost less. You don't really need Ultimate so Professional would do fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

CPU OEM heatsink & fan is more than enough for its use even lite overclocking, buy one later if needed. Beside over clocking your system void your warranty. That's one of the biggest mistake most new builders; over clock the system right after build. You need to get the system work stable first then over clock when you know the system does not have warranty anymore, that time, your system is properly breaking and whatever issue you may have found is stabilized.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 4, 2010 2:08:33 PM

rexter said:
You can shave some case here.

PSU - $ 100 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo -$ 150 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or better yet - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case - $90 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


For OS you can pick either 64bit or 32bit and it'll cost less. You don't really need Ultimate so Professional would do fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

CPU OEM heatsink & fan is more than enough for its use even lite overclocking, buy one later if needed. Beside over clocking your system void your warranty. That's one of the biggest mistake most new builders; over clock the system right after build. You need to get the system work stable first then over clock when you know the system does not have warranty anymore, that time, your system is properly breaking and whatever issue you may have found is stabilized.


Horrid PSU, has 3 egg an average review.
Get a Corsair, Seasonic, Or XFX PSU. Like the one I posted earlier. Rosewills are worse quality..
and a case is mainly the builders preference.
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 3:02:18 PM

Don't get Rosewill... Corsair or Antec

Both have discount on Newegg atm for today ONLY, 20% off Antec, 10% off Corsair PSUs
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 3:27:41 PM

vindictive said:
Horrid PSU, has 3 egg an average review.
Get a Corsair, Seasonic, Or XFX PSU. Like the one I posted earlier. Rosewills are worse quality..
and a case is mainly the builders preference.



I won't call it hurid but you're right about Corsair being better.
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 3:52:24 PM

rexter said:
I won't call it hurid but you're right about Corsair being better.


Below perfect :p 
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 3:52:30 PM

sorry for double
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 3:56:36 PM

Thanks for all the help!!!

there is no point in downgrading to a 750 cuz its only 10 bucks cheaper and with the combo im getting the 850 with its actually another 30 bucks off....
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 4:14:52 PM

Alright then keep it :D . I haven't looked into the combo's to compare prices :p 
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 11:24:21 PM

another combo that saves money :)  548000
m
0
l
!