Closed Solved

Need Advice on GTX 460 vs. GTX 470

Should I go with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 2GB or with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB?
My original idea was to go with the 470 but the 460 is 800 megs more and $90 cheaper.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice
  1. Why not go with a GTX460 1GB, the extra Vram does nothing in terms of performance for 95% of people.

However, the choice is dependent on your monitor, system specs and usage really, as ATM both a nice cards at a nice price.
  2. Best answer
    The 2GB version is worthless (literally) unless you want to play games on multiple monitors, or have a monitor of extremely high resolution.

1GB is plenty even for 1920x1200 resolutions. More VRAM is basically pointless.

Now, there is a performance difference between the GTX 460 and GTX 470. Which one is best for you depends on what games you play, and what resolution your monitor is. A GTX 470 will plays most games at 60+FPS at 1920x1080 (exception being Metro 2033 with DX11 turned on).

If you don't demand absolute highest performance & highest graphic settings, or use a monitor with a lower resolution, the GTX 460 1GB is plenty.
  3. $90 cheaper?
  4. jyjjy said:
    $90 cheaper?

Ya I'm buying from ibuypower.com, go through the computers there you'll see it.
  5. jerreece said:
    The 2GB version is worthless (literally) unless you want to play games on multiple monitors, or have a monitor of extremely high resolution.

1GB is plenty even for 1920x1200 resolutions. More VRAM is basically pointless.

Now, there is a performance difference between the GTX 460 and GTX 470. Which one is best for you depends on what games you play, and what resolution your monitor is. A GTX 470 will plays most games at 60+FPS at 1920x1080 (exception being Metro 2033 with DX11 turned on).

If you don't demand absolute highest performance & highest graphic settings, or use a monitor with a lower resolution, the GTX 460 1GB is plenty.

We'll I go with the 470 to future proof the system.

I'm getting the from ibuypower and the 460 1GB is only 10 dollars cheaper than the 2GB version.
  6. Best answer selected by ben110.
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Geforce Graphics