Sign in with
Your question

What's a great video card upgrade with my current specifications?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 10:34:57 PM

Hello! I am running a Athlon x64 6000+ with a X1950 Sapphire Pro 512MB GDDR3 (this ran like a beast.. like what 3 years ago?), and I want to look for a video card that will not bottleneck my cheap configuration.

I'm sick of running SC2 on low at the moment :/ .

Oh, forgot to mention that I run on a 19" Widescreen that supports 1440x900 resolution! Bonus for moar graphic intense, minus for the eye sores of straining on a smaller resolution =(.
September 14, 2010 11:08:44 PM

do you want another AGP card? Does your motherboard have PCIe slot?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 11:15:48 PM

Man, I remember when I used to run an 8800 GTS 512MB (G92) @ 1440x900! LOL

My wife is actually using a Sapphire X1950 Pro on that same 1440x900 monitor!!! That's just funny. It's not great for gaming experiences for her, although she has a Q6600 3.2Ghz. She never games, just does photo edits, blogging, etc so it's fine.

At such a low resolution you don't need much of a video card to be honest. If your motherboard supports a PCI-E slot something basic like an ATI 5750 would be more than enough. Or for an nVidia flair, the GTS 250 would be more than enough.

Do you plan to upgrade your monitor at all?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 11:27:38 PM

jerreece said:
Man, I remember when I used to run an 8800 GTS 512MB (G92) @ 1440x900! LOL

My wife is actually using a Sapphire X1950 Pro on that same 1440x900 monitor!!! That's just funny. It's not great for gaming experiences for her, although she has a Q6600 3.2Ghz. She never games, just does photo edits, blogging, etc so it's fine.

At such a low resolution you don't need much of a video card to be honest. If your motherboard supports a PCI-E slot something basic like an ATI 5750 would be more than enough. Or for an nVidia flair, the GTS 250 would be more than enough.

Do you plan to upgrade your monitor at all?

LOL, you make me want to facepalm myself now.. I know it is ridiculous running a 19" 1440x900 monitor and I've considered many times to upgrade to a better monitor, but I haven't the money at the moment. I mean, I do have the money to get a better monitor but that would mean I would need to also buy a video card, along with a new CPU, and a new motherboard. Damn AM2 Mobo / AM2 Processor / DDR2 Memory!! :S.

Bottle necking sure is depressing, so if my CPU cannot handle the 5750 and utilize it completely, then I'd become one sad college student :/ . However, thank you for your input and your story. It was really entertaining. BTW, I'm running a dual-view setup, hohoho. No HDMI monitors though :/ !

@Cirslevin
My bad, it's a PCI-E Mobo and I have the PCi-E version. I forgot at that time, AGP was struggling alive. To my surprise, few other graphics cards continued shortly after this card. This makes my current x1950 seem very old and fragile, haha.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
September 14, 2010 11:30:56 PM

What motherboard do you have exactly?
m
l
!