Accelero l2 pro overheats

IMAC

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Hello all THG community members!! :hello:

In this (my first post) I’m seeking for a little help with my new aftermarket cooler the accelero l2 pro from arctic cooling.

My issue began when I replaced the stock cooler due to IMO excessive heat, temperatures reach almost 87+°C at full load and idle at 65°C.
When I first installed the heat sink I was hoping to reach lower temps but what I got was the opposite different, for my astonishment temps now reach 100+°C at middle load (at full load the computer shutdowns to protect the components I think) and idles at 63°C just like the past cooler.

I don’t know what I did wrong during the installation cause I followed the instructions that came with the package. I tried replacing the preapplied thermal paste with new as5 but nothing changed, connecting the fan on the 7v or 12 v connectors change nothing.
I’ve tried connecting the fan into the 2 pin video card connector but msi afterburner and CCC fan control doesn’t seem to change the fan speed at all.

Here are my computer specs if needed

OEM ATI radeon HD5750 1GB DDR5
Cooler Master extreme power plus 600w PSU
MSI 870A-G54 mobo
Athlon II X3 Rana

Please help :(
Thanks in advanced

I never licked this cooler and glad that I never bought one. Zalman are better but sadly are overpriced. The best thing you can do is had fans to the cooler but that will block slots but you should have factored in that when you bought the cooler. People licked it since they were cheap and easy to install but that is all they are flimsy to me. Take the side panel off to improve air flow and add a or another fan near or on the cooler to improve performance. Make sure the case fans are cleaned of any dust and are working properly.

Timop

Distinguished
Regardless of quality, a 5750 with a properly installed cooler should idle nowhere near 60C. Check the cooler to see if there's any wiggle, but it was this hot even with the stock cooler, it could be a bad card.

What case do you have?

IMAC

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
The strange thing to me is that after I installed this cooler I made a little modding experiment with the stock athlon II heat sink , I installed it on the radeon video card it worked fine even the fan can throttle if I changed its speed on msi afterburner, connected to the 2 pin video car connector.
I decided to buy the accelero to replace the modded one cause I want to improve cooling performance and have a clean mind not thinking every minute or so that the heat sink might loose contact with the chip.

IMAC

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I checked the cooler its firm and won’t move at all. The temps with the stock cooler were below the ones I have with the new aftermarket cooler, my case is a generic one called Newark XP from Acteck, I installed one 120mm intake fan and another 120mm for exhaust.
Hope is not a bad card because I just bought it.

IMAC

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

Sorry I didn’t reply to your post yesterday but I resolve the problem,
I got to the conclusion that the heat sink wasn’t touching the chip correctly as it has to, so I eliminate the spacers between the card ant the heat sink.
This solution plus connecting the fan to the 12v adapter lowered my temps to 50°C at idle and 83°C at full load on high demanding games like Ruse, testing the solution with counter strike:source and DoD:source gave me 65°C at a maximum.

I think this is the best I can get from this cheap aftermarket cooler.
Thanks for helping me on this post.
On a side note I’m considering the installation of another fan just beside the video card to push fresh air in directly to it.

IMAC

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

Thanks for your time but I solved the issue by getting rid of the spacers that came with the accelero. I know zalman may be better quality but in the region where I live investing in that kind if cooler just seems to be very expensive. The accelero cost me almost $77 dollars including shipping and payment fees.
Thank you.

Holy ***! That is a lot for any cooler :ouch:

wicke038

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010

The spacers as in the black plastic things, or the clear plastic washers that go on the other side of the card from the four screws?

My GPU is running 70C idle with the Accelero and 2x120mm fans blowing 140CFM on it.