GTX 460 HDMI Audio to Receiver is going in and out

dontcounttoday

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I just upgraded my graphics card to the GTX 460 which is sweet because it has an HDMI out. This should work for both audio and video. On my old setup I had an HDMI going from the receiver to an hdmi to dvi converter because my graphics card only had dvi. I then had a seperate audio cable running to my receiver for sound.

Problem is with this hookup I get constant video but the audio is going in an out. My Receiver readout should say "GAME Direct" but the word direct is flashing on and off like the receiver is changing channels almost and when it does that audio goes out. Game by the way just means its in the HDMI slot labeled Game. It doesnt seem to be an issue with the receiver as it just worked fine with the old setup and it works fine with my PS3 and comcast. Its the signal coming out from this graphics card!

Also i dont know if it matters but I have the HD audio drivers that were installed with the graphics card and I also have my old Razer AC1 sound card in there with those drivers installed. Are these maybe conflicting?? Does the graphics card actually act as its own full sound card as well?

dontcounttoday

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
yes I am using the newest beta drivers. I am now afraid it may be an hdmi input on the receiver as I switched it with another input and now theres no problem. which means maybe theres a bad hdmi input on this receiver which sucks as I am using all of them

dontcounttoday

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I thought I had it working after switching hdmi ports, but after about an hour of a movie playing just fine out of nowhere this started happening again. It seems that switching the hdmi cable to a different port temporarily fixed the problem but it just came back. I refuse to think this is with the receiver as no other device is doing this. what is going on GTX 460??

notty22

Distinguished
Maybe it has something to do with power saving features ?

You might try going to NV control panel
manage 3d settings
power management mode: change to maximum performance

Then in windows 7 go to power options
high performance :change plan settings
advanced settings: pci express : link state power management
by default it should be off, thats why choose the high performance power plan
to test.

dontcounttoday

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks for the helpfull tips Notty22. I thought it was working for awhile then it started again about an 20 minutes into watching a show. I am thinking maybe I should try to switch back to the stable driver release instead of the newest beta, but Im doubtful that will work either

MiGoreng

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

I have a very similar issue, only that I don`t get an in and out with my AVR. It simply doesn`t recognize on my PC. Using HDMI direct from my GTX 460 to my HDTV it brings both video and audio (to the TV speakers) and I can set it as default in my sound manager. However, when going HDMI direct from GTX 460 to my AVR HDMI in, then AVR HDMI out to HDTV HDMI in I will only receive video and no audio. My AVR will not even recognize on the PC sound manager. I am currently using the latest 260.63 beta nvidia drivers with windows 7 64bit.

Although both the 460 manual and nvidia live chat recommend not to use an AVR on the HDMI port, I am convinced there is a work around with so many others successfully getting it to work.

MiGoreng

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Update. After installing a Windows7 patch,

I have now managed to get audio to route through my AVR. However, it is only producing stereo and not giving me the option to configure speakers to 5.1. Does that mean I need to configure it in my S/W programs like PowerDVD10?

Also whenever I stream anything online or watch video I am getting sound out of all 5 speakers and the subwoofer works too.

dontcounttoday

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Sorry for the double post, but I have had this topic up under the NVIDIA section to no avail for a over a week now, so I hope someone will see the issue here and can maybe help:

I just upgraded my graphics card to the GTX 460 which is sweet because it has an HDMI out. This should work for both audio and video. On my old setup I had an HDMI going from the receiver to an hdmi to dvi converter because my graphics card only had dvi. I then had a seperate audio cable running to my receiver for sound.

Problem is with this hookup I get constant video but the audio is going in an out. My Receiver readout should say "GAME Direct" but the word direct is flashing on and off like the receiver is changing channels almost and when it does that audio goes out. Game by the way just means its in the HDMI slot labeled Game. It doesnt seem to be an issue with the receiver as it just worked fine with the old setup and it works fine with my PS3 and comcast. Also upon switching the HDMI ports on the receiver I have the same problem but the other device I switch it with works fine in any HDMI input. Its the signal coming out from this graphics card!

I am currently using the most recent drivers for the card, the beta driver.

MiGoreng

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I unfortunately didn't bookmark it, but I'll see if I can find the link.

It was not done through windows update. I found it on another board's forum. I believe it was some kind of windows hotfix.

dontcounttoday

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Paulitusa thanks for the info but I have that current NVIDIA driver. I was thinking about switching back from that driver (which is a beta) to the latest stable but that is no longer an issue. According to the forums at NVIDIA this is a common issue for this card and is often fixed by downloading PowerDVD 10. I dont know the exact reason, it has to do with its bitstreaming support. Anyway I did that it now everything seems to work fine. Ive been watching 2 hours of video from my computer on my through the HDMI and all is going well so far.

However, Migoreng please do post the link to that windows hotfix when you can I would like to download it anyway just to be sure.

dontcounttoday

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
lol back again. I dont know what the hell is wrong. Its happening again despite everything so far. It worked fine for a few shows I watched that night, then the next day I went to do it and 30 minutes in the sound skipped and I saw the receiver "reset." I turned it off when it got faster and started really interrupting the show. I didnt switch the receiver off just turned off the show, and interestingly when I came back a few hours later to see if it was working again I looked at the receiver to notice it was constantly skipping so that I couldnt even read what channel it was on it was flashing so quick, which resulted in continuously broken sound. It was just getting faster and faster the longer i left it on. wow this is frustrating

MiGoreng

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
did you give that windows hotfix a try?

In order for my surround to work I need to have both the AVR AND my HDTV turned on. If my HDTV is not turned on, the sound defaults to the onboard speakers on my monitor.

dontcounttoday

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Yes i installed that hotfix, and its not the surround thats a problem. When the sound is working it plays in surround correctly. Its just that the receiver starts to skip or however you want to describe it. Again, oddly the picture doesnt skip, just the audio

jedediahpelland

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
How new is your reciever? Maybe you have a format selected in audio options that your reciever doesnt support? I dont know, just a thought. I am currently waiting for my GTX 460 to arive via UPS, should be here in a couple days, Ill post back and let ya know how my setup turns out, as I am planning to go through my reciever also. On a side note it could just be the reciever, everything I have works fine thru it, but my HD cable box always screws it up for some reason.

jedediahpelland

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Ok, I got my new GTX260 card today, having problems with audio using hdmi throug AV reciever also, my reciever is also pretty new, might be the HD audio drivers supplied by nvidia. I only tried the new beta driver 260, havnt tried rolling back yet. Im gonna keep messin round though as Im a persistant SOB, let ya know if I figure something out.

G

This is a stretch but make sure you unplug your analog audio out from your sound card. I have seen it a couple times.

jedediahpelland

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
yeah, Ive got a 780i sli board and was using the optical out to my stereo, I did unplugg it though. I also had realteck drivers installed cause they worked best for that setup, and discovered I had to unistall them as they were interfering with the nvidia hd audio driver. Iv got it working, but if I am playing something that is only 2 channel audio, my reciever wont decode it to 5.1 like it does with the optical out setup. This is probalbly due to the bitstreaming with the new HD audio drivers. Does anyone no of a way to switch off bitstreaming?

DeannaB

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
I have been having the same problem off and on for weeks. Especially when I restart or start my computer. Wonder if there should be a recall. And heard id you have windows 8 it doesnt happen. Not fond of Windows 8. Good luck.Let me know is you come up with something. I have reinstalled my audio drive multiple time and even set my computer back many times and it still does it.