Just lost shared folder on office network

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
We run a domain server with Windows Sever 2003 in our office, with several shared folders mapped as drive letters on everyone's workstations via logon script.

Suddenly the contents of one of the shared folders has disappeared when viewed on any workstation, but the files and folders still remain on the actual server. This is an external USB hard drive connected to the server, with the driver letter E:. On the E drive there is a shared folder that is mapped as drive Y: on everyone's workstation. If I try to look at either the Y drive an a workstation, or manually type in \\server\share for the corresponding shared folder, it says the contents of the folder is empty. If I look at the actual E drive directly on the server, the files are all there where they should be. What could be the problem?

Instead of browsing for Y, try None and see you can navigate all the way to the folder through Entire Network\etc.

I can see how Explorer could get that impression but if you browse in Map a Network Drive and then for None rather than a specific letter, you may get a better result.

Oh yes - you just can't beat the old reboot fix. :D [/#000ff]