Revving Sound from Gateway Desktop

colorfield

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Hello,

I just got a Gateway DX4831-03 desktop and I'm concerned about a revving sound the machine makes. I had a photo DVD in the DVD drive and while scanning through photos either the DVD drive or a fan starts this revving sound. It's a cyling up and down whirl and I'm not sure if this is normal. It is a fairly annoying sound and I can't imaging sitting here working and having to listen to that. It also makes the revving sound when I had a DVD movie in and was fast forwarding it. Any ideas? Thanks

colorfield

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
It could be a dying DVD drive, does it only happen when you have a DVD in?
Thanks. Yes, just when using the DVD drive and I don't think it's a dying drive as it's a brand new computer...I just unboxed it. It happens when I'm scanning through large photo files on the disc quickly or like I mentioned fast forwarding through a movie, then this fan or drive noise kicks in then dies back down. Seems like when the drive is stressed it revs, if you just put in a movie and hit play it's fine. I have a 7 year old Gateway that this was to replace, and this new machine is quite a step up in speed and memory from that. So I can't imagine that this is a normal aspect of the computer.

colorfield

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Could just be a defective DVD drive with an poorly lubricated/fit motor.
But DVD drives do make a noise when its reading disks due to the disk spinning at various speeds, in that case its perfectly normal. The only solution is to get an quieter DVD drive.
In both cases, you could either send it in for warranty, or just buy one online for $20.
Thanks for your help.