Need expert advice about popping noise

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Everyone,

I've got a gaming build inside a Silverstone GD04. I occasionally hear a "pop" noise from the inside of my case. It happens rarely and intermittently enough that I am unable to localize it. It is a pop and not a "click" or "clack" like a hard drive would sound. If I were to compare it to something it sounds a little like an louder version of when you plug something into an outlet if that makes any sense. Its sounds electrical to me, but I may be wrong.

Pure speculation, but there may some motherboard mount risers underneath the board without corresponding mounting holes on the motherboard itself. Could that be causing a short? Also my computer is operating perfectly, if there was a short somewhere or a discharge.... what would be the symptoms...? Would the computer continue to operate normally? Thank you.

My Rig:

Case: Silverstone GD04
PSU: Antec Basiq 550 Watt
MB: GA-MA74GM-S2
PROC: Athlon II X4 640
MEM: Patriot DDR2 800
HD: Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Graphics: XFX 4890

+1
Make sure you have a proper ground at the wall, and look for simple things like a cable end resting against a corner of the interior, or a screw.

Was that the Antec BP550 Plus? It's a Delta-built PSU and should be OK, but if it's arcing internally it needs to be replaced.

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

I am by no means an expert, but if there were some kind of discharge occurring within the case wouldn't performance be affected in some way?

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

If it makes any difference, the only time the noise can be reproduced consistently is shortly after a cold boot and the computer has been off for hours. I am wondering if the motherboard pcb is possibly expanding and contracting?

Also a side note, I regret building in the GD04, nice case but very difficult to work on after its been assembled. I don't think I will every build using this kind of form factor again. Its towers for life now.

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

I am fairly confident that all the uneeded standoffs are gone. However, assuming they are not what would be the result.

Side note, I have ordered a new case and have decided to abandon the GD04.

That would depend on where the standoff was making contact. If it was touching a circuit that dealt with an inactive PCI slot, you might not see any performance problem but might hear that pop occasionally. That's just one of many possibilities.

Breadboard the system. Test everything outside the case and if you still have popping you'll know it's either the PSU or board.

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

Update:

I have found a what seems to be a correlation between when my graphics card ramps up and down and hearing the popping noise. When I open and/or close a demanding game the popping noise is heard more frequently. I will put a spare video card in the system and listen. Hopefully that is the issue.