Help with hard drives

xtremegamer2da-max

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
hi i am trying to get autodesk maya cuz i have some training but it is a little bit to expensive for me so i was looking for a computer that already has autodesk maya on the hdd and i found one with a 320gb hard drive that has autodesk maya 2013 and windows 7 ultimate but the laptop dosent have the hardware i want so i want to move the laptop hard drive to a computer and use the maya that is on it and was wondering if there was a way to do that. here is a couple ideas i have on how to do it and want to know which ones will work and how.

1. clone the laptop hdd to the desktop hdd
2. move maya from the laptop hdd to the desktop hdd
3. use the laptop hdd as a boot drive in the desktop

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Wow, use more periods next time. Can you find the key on for the program? If you can just install it on your desktop and then use the key.

Number 1 would be a hassle. Number 2 might cause problems with the program if you just copy it over. For number 3, try plugging in the hard drive and then running the program straight from the hard drive. No need to boot windows from that hard drive.

xtremegamer2da-max

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Sorry about my bad punctuation, i'll actually use some this time. I don't currently own the laptop in question. I am thinking about buying it but I didn't know if i could use maya on a different computer that is why I asked. The seller say's it comes with the product key and such, but it does not come with the disk, so i cant uninstall from laptop and then install on the desktop. I wonder if i could uninstall it from the laptop, then download maya over internet onto the desktop and then enter prod key in desktop. Also, when you say to just plug it in for number 3, do you mean i can boot to my desktop hdd, then with the laptop hdd plugged in, I can run maya from the laptop hdd?