Sign in with
Your question

Bios setting for Athalon XP 2800+

Last response: in Memory
October 1, 2011 3:45:20 AM

Just upgraded memory to 3GB and may system keeps restarting after logging in and opening two applications. What are the bios setting for memory upgrade from 1GB to 3GB DDR 400 PC3200 motherboard compatible memory?
a b } Memory
October 1, 2011 4:25:38 AM

What is the brand and model of the motherboard and all DIMMs?

Was the original 1 GB made up of one 1 GB DIMM or two 512 MB DIMMs?

Is the new 2GB of memory made up of one 2 GB DIMM or two 1 GB DIMMs?

Which DIMMs are placed in which memory slots?

What are the memory timings set to in BIOS?

What is the memory voltage set to in BIOS?
m
l
October 1, 2011 5:02:57 AM

ko888 said:
What is the brand and model of the motherboard and all DIMMs? Motherboard: Asus A7V600-X Not sure of the memory name but I got it from 1stChoiceMemory they guarantee compatibility memory is Atlas Precision 3 GB DDR / 400MHz

Was the original 1 GB made up of one 1 GB DIMM or two 512 MB DIMMs? 1GB KVR400X64C3A Kingston

Is the new 2GB of memory made up of one 2 GB DIMM or two 1 GB DIMMs? I added three 1GB DDR 400MHz PC3200

Which DIMMs are placed in which memory slots? All slots are fill with 1GB memory sticks.

What are the memory timings set to in BIOS? Not sure what the settings are.

What is the memory voltage set to in BIOS? Not sure what the settings are.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 1, 2011 6:57:15 AM

Download and run the freeware utility CPU-Z:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Click on the Memory tab page and post the information or a picture of it back here.

Click on the SPD tab page and post the information or a picture of it back here.

Or on the About tab page click on the Save Report (.TXT) command button to save a text report. Open the report file in a text editor like Notepad and copy the Memory SPD section and paste it into your reply to this thread.
m
l
October 1, 2011 12:32:35 PM

ko888 said:
Download and run the freeware utility CPU-Z:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Click on the Memory tab page and post the information or a picture of it back here.

Click on the SPD tab page and post the information or a picture of it back here.

Or on the About tab page click on the Save Report (.TXT) command button to save a text report. Open the report file in a text editor like Notepad and copy the Memory SPD section and paste it into your reply to this thread.

Thanks for your help!

m
l
a b } Memory
October 1, 2011 6:14:42 PM

You said you have an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard but CPU-Z says that the motherboard is an ASUS A7V600-X. Which one do you have?

If you really have the A7V600-X then look at and modify the following BIOS settings since some of them don't appear to be correctly obtained from the DIMM's SPD EEPROM:

AwardBIOS Setup Utility --> Advanced menu
Memory Frequency (MHz): Options are [Auto] or [266] or [333] or [400]. Default setting is [Auto]. <--- Set this to 400

> Chip Configuration
SDRAM Configuration: Options are [By SPD] or [User Defined]. Default setting is [By SPD]. <--- Set this to [User Defined]
The following four parameters become configurable only when SDRAM Configuration is set to [User Defined].
SDRAM CAS Latency: Options are [1.5T] or [2T] or [2.5T] <--- Should be set to [3] according to SPD Table but only [2.5] is available so set it to that
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: Options are [5T] or [4T] or [3T] or [2T] <--- Set this to [3T]
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: Options are [5T] or [4T] or [3T] or [2T] <--- Set this to [3T]
SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: Options are [9T] or [8T] or [7T] or [6T] <--- Set this to [8T]

SDRAM 1T Command Control: Options are [Disabled] or [Enabled] or [Auto]. Default setting is [Auto]. <--- Set to [Disabled] if the above timing settings changes haven't resolved the problem
SDRAM Bank Interleave: Options are [Disabled] or [2 Bank] or [4 Bank] or [Auto]. Default setting is [Auto].
DRAM Burst Length 8QW: Options are [Disabled] or [Auto]. Default setting is [Disabled].
Rank interleave: Options are [Disabled] or [Auto]. Default setting is [Disabled].
m
l
October 1, 2011 6:36:21 PM

ko888 said:
You said you have an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard but CPU-Z says that the motherboard is an ASUS A7V600-X. Which one do you have? I have a A7V600-X motherboard sorry about that.

If you really have the A7V600-X then look at and modify the following BIOS settings since some of them don't appear to be correctly obtained from the DIMM's SPD EEPROM:

Memory Frequency (MHz): Options are [Auto] or [266] or [333] or [400]. Default setting is [Auto]. <--- Set this to 400 Can I set to 400 even if I have three 1GB sticks? I thought I read somewhere that you can only go as high as 333 when using all three memory slots.

> Chip Configuration
SDRAM Configuration: Options are [By SPD] or [User Defined]. Default setting is [By SPD]. <--- Set this to [User Defined]
The following four parameters become configurable only when SDRAM Configuration is set to [User Defined].
SDRAM CAS Latency: Options are [1.5T] or [2T] or [2.5T] <--- Should be set to [3] according to SPD Table but only [2.5] is available so set it to that
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: Options are [5T] or [4T] or [3T] or [2T] <--- Set this to [3T]
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: Options are [5T] or [4T] or [3T] or [2T] <--- Set this to [3T]
SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: Options are [9T] or [8T] or [7T] or [6T] <--- Set this to [8T]

SDRAM 1T Command Control: Options are [Disabled] or [Enabled] or [Auto]. Default setting is [Auto]. <--- Set to [Disabled] if the above timing settings changes haven't resolved the problem
SDRAM Bank Interleave: Options are [Disabled] or [2 Bank] or [4 Bank] or [Auto]. Default setting is [Auto].
DRAM Burst Length 8QW: Options are [Disabled] or [Auto]. Default setting is [Disabled].
Rank interleave: Options are [Disabled] or [Auto]. Default setting is [Disabled].

m
l
a b } Memory
October 1, 2011 6:52:01 PM

What I also notice is that the A7V600-X DDR400 Qualified Vendor List never shows any testing with three DIMMs or any 1GB DIMMs.

VIA chipset motherboards, from my experience with them, have always shown some type of instability or incompatibility with RAM unless I set the memory timings manually.

Try running the motherboard with only two DIMMs and see if that has any effect.
m
l
October 1, 2011 7:36:35 PM

ko888 said:
What I also notice is that the A7V600-X DDR400 Qualified Vendor List never shows any testing with three DIMMs or any 1GB DIMMs.

VIA chipset motherboards, from my experience with them, have always shown some type of instability or incompatibility with RAM unless I set the memory timings manually.

Try running the motherboard with only two DIMMs and see if that has any effect.
I haven't tried the setting yet but thanks for those parameters. Can you help me set the CPU Speed, CPU Frequency Multiple, CPU External Frequency (MHz), CPU VCore setting?
m
l
a b } Memory
October 1, 2011 11:58:13 PM

Willard814 said:
I haven't tried the setting yet but thanks for those parameters. Can you help me set the CPU Speed, CPU Frequency Multiple, CPU External Frequency (MHz), CPU VCore setting?

Which AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton model do you have?

There is Part Number: AXDA2800DKV4D and Part Number: AXDA2800DKV4C.

They both use a different FSB clock speed and multiplier.

It's obvious from your CPU-Z info that the motherboard is not running the CPU with the correct BIOS settings and will need to be manually set.

Depending on what CPU model you have my previous memory timings recommendation may have to change.
m
l
October 2, 2011 1:40:22 AM

ko888 said:
Which AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton model do you have?

There is Part Number: AXDA2800DKV4D and Part Number: AXDA2800DKV4C.

They both use a different FSB clock speed and multiplier.

It's obvious from your CPU-Z info that the motherboard is not running the CPU with the correct BIOS settings and will need to be manually set.

Depending on what CPU model you have my previous memory timings recommendation may have to change.

How do I determine the specific processor part number? CPU-Z doesn't seem to be producing a part number for me. I also tried Aida32 but no definitive results were produced.
m
l
October 2, 2011 12:42:35 PM

ko888 said:
The only way to be sure is to look at the label on the CPU itself:

http://cdn.cpu-world.com/Images/uploaded/0000/22/L_00002246.jpg

or download and run this utility and post the screen shots back here:

Central Brain Identifier 8.3.6.6 build 1228 R6

http://majorgeeks.com/Central_Brain_Identifier_d3538.ht...

I have a AXDA2800DKV4D processor. Thanks again for everything! I tried run two sticks in slots one and three with the Memory Frequency (MHz) set to 400MHz and my machine seems to be faster than running three memory sticks at 333MHz. I thought more memory was suppose to make my machine run faster? Will the settings change if only running two 1GB sticks?

m
l
a b } Memory
October 2, 2011 6:48:34 PM

Based on the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ AXDA2800DKV4D:

CPU Speed: Options are [Auto] or [Manual]. Default setting is [Auto]. <--- Set this to [Manual]
CPU Frequency Multiple: [???x] <--- make sure this is set to [12.5x]
CPU External Frequency (MHz): [???] <--- Set to [333/2] or whatever gives a result of 166.7 MHz
Memory Frequency (MHz): Options are [Auto] or [266] or [333] or [400]. Default setting is [Auto]. <--- Set this to [333]
CPU Vcore Setting: Default setting is [Auto] <--- change to [Manual]
CPU Vcore: [???V] <--- set this to [1.728V]
CPU Level 1 Cache: Default setting is [Enabled]
CPU Level 2 Cache: Default setting is [Enabled]
PS/2 Mouse Function Control: Default setting is [Auto]
USB Legacy Support: Default setting is [Auto]
OS/2 Onboard Memory > 64M: Default setting is [Disabled]
Instant Music: Default setting is [Disabled]
Instant Music CD-ROM

> Chip Configuration
SDRAM CAS Latency: Options are [1.5T] or [2T] or [2.5T] <--- Should be set to [2.5T] according to SPD Table
SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: Options are [9T] or [8T] or [7T] or [6T] <--- Set this to [7T]

m
l
a b } Memory
October 2, 2011 7:46:40 PM

Willard814 said:
I tried run two sticks in slots one and three with the Memory Frequency (MHz) set to 400MHz and my machine seems to be faster than running three memory sticks at 333MHz.

The ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard manual states:

PC3200 maximum to 2 banks only and PC2700 maximum to 4 banks only.

Since you should be running your new DIMMs at PC2700 DDR333 and each of your new DIMMs has 2 banks you should only be using a maximum of two DIMMs (= 4 banks). This should lead to stability since you would be operating within the motherboard's memory design specifications.

Willard814 said:
I thought more memory was suppose to make my machine run faster?

Only if the extra memory provided by the DIMMs are running within the motherboard's memory design specs. If you had three DIMMs that have a single bank on each then you would have been able to use all three DIMMs.

Willard814 said:
Will the settings change if only running two 1GB sticks?

No. Use the settings I posted in my reply just above this one.
m
l
October 2, 2011 11:52:46 PM

ko888 said:
The ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard manual states:

PC3200 maximum to 2 banks only and PC2700 maximum to 4 banks only.

Since you should be running your new DIMMs at PC2700 DDR333 and each of your new DIMMs has 2 banks you should only be using a maximum of two DIMMs (= 4 banks). This should lead to stability since you would be operating within the motherboard's memory design specifications.

Only if the extra memory provided by the DIMMs are running within the motherboard's memory design specs. If you had three DIMMs that have a single bank on each then you would have been able to use all three DIMMs.

No. Use the settings I posted in my reply just above this one.

Thanks I'll apply the settings and let you know how I make out.
m
l
October 3, 2011 2:03:39 AM

Willard814 said:
Thanks I'll apply the settings and let you know how I make out.

I applied the setting exactly but Firefox keeps crashing and then the system restarts. Here is the message I got.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 19
BCP1: 00000020
BCP2: AFBBBD80
BCP3: AFBBC3A0
BCP4: 0AC436BC
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x04...
m
l
a b } Memory
October 3, 2011 2:20:21 AM

Can you post CPU-Z screens of the CPU and Memory tab pages?

I would like to see if the CPU and memory are operating at their design specs or to see if there is something else that needs to be tweaked.
m
l
October 6, 2011 6:25:43 PM

ko888 said:
Can you post CPU-Z screens of the CPU and Memory tab pages?

I would like to see if the CPU and memory are operating at their design specs or to see if there is something else that needs to be tweaked.

I couldn't get the system to run stable enough to post screen shots of the specs with the parameters set as you specified, so I pulled the slot 2 memory stick. Now the system is fast and stable at 400MHz FSB. Unless I'm missing something there is no way to get 3GB at 333MHZ FSB to run faster than 2GB at 400MHZ FSB.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 6, 2011 6:59:20 PM

Willard814 said:
I couldn't get the system to run stable enough to post screen shots of the specs with the parameters set as you specified, so I pulled the slot 2 memory stick. Now the system is fast and stable at 400MHz FSB. Unless I'm missing something there is no way to get 3GB at 333MHZ FSB to run faster than 2GB at 400MHZ FSB.

Using the Atlas Precision 3 GB DDR / 400MHz DIMMs, that you've purchased, you can only use them in the following configurations and still stay within the motherboard's memory design specifications:

DIMMs operating at PC2700 / DDR333 speed:
Two DIMMs in any two DIMM sockets.

DIMM operating at PC3200 / DDR400 speed:
One DIMM in any DIMM socket.
m
l
!