Antec NineHundred-2 Space

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hi,

I'm in the process of building a new computer, and would like to gather a bit of worldly knowledge from the TH community:

I'm using the Antec 902 case; I never used the old 900, and from what I've seen/read you don't have much headroom for the CPU, and thus your heatsink. I was wondering if anyone knew the maximum dimensions for a heatsink that would fit into the case? I am currently intending to cool an i7-2600k with a Corsair A50, but being 15.5cm in height, I'm concerned that it wont fit (in which case I'll probably downgrade to a Zalman 9500). If you use the case, I'd equally appreciate knowing which heatsink you have fitted into your case.

Also: I'm going to fit a GTX580 into there, being a 10.5" card, from what I've seen it will just fit. Once again, I'd love for someone to confirm that (nothing worse than getting a case then having to send it back). I expect the optional fan bracket will have to go, and the HDDs will need to be positioned in the lower brackets, but it should just squeeze in.

Thanks in Advance,
Wampbit

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

Thanks for your response, I'll probably do so, or return it under the 30-day return consumer rights whatsnot :p. I too think that it will fit, there won't be much extra space, but it should get in.

From Bit Tech review

The drive bays also cause problems when fitting larger graphics cards into the 902, just as we found two years ago when building a system into the 900. While 10 inch cards like the 9800 GTX+ and HD 4870 fit with a little room to play with, 10.5 inch cards like the GTX 2xx series or ATI’s Radeon HD 4870 X2 will only just fit by the skin of their teeth with some angular cable management for PCI-Express connectors as well. This is an issue that’s compounded by the decision to include an internal 120mm fan mount on the back of one of the drive cages. Designed to provide even more cooling for your GPU or CPU if you so need it, it just gets in the way if you’re running even a somewhat recent graphics card, although it is thankfully easy enough to remove or relocate.

The case is 21.8cm wide and the cooler is 12.5cm high, add about 3cm of case and mobo that about 15/16cm, so should be plenty of room.

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

That sounds reasonable, and I managed to miss that review. Just the information I needed - many thanks :).

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

Dear me, we seem to be trading remarks, I just recommended that on the 2600 vs 2600k thread and the I see this! :p.

Hmm - the problem for me is the cost, I've been running high spec (and proportionally high cost) gaming laptops for a while now, and my current one fried at a rather inopportune time. I can't say my gaming budget is up to standard right now, normally I'd be going for a much better case, with watercooling and SLI in mind. I'm getting quotes on a few builds right now, depending on what they result in I'll either have to cut back, or carefully look at my financial headroom.

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Haven't seen that Corsair before, I quite like the design too. I'll definitely be switching to the HAF932 if i have the money spare ;).

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I haven't seen it, which is annoying :p - I'm just going to have to find a way to kill the LEDs entirely, I can't say I like them much. I'd normally at least go for the 1200, but hey, guess I'll just be upgrading the case after half a year.

On a side note, I'm starting of with 4 gigs of RAM (yes, you heard me), on the bases of price and sticking more in after 2 months :p.

Any 160mm tall cpu cooler will fit in the 902 which btw is the majority.
This includes monstrosities like the D-14 and Silver Arrow.
So very good coolers like the Megahalems and Venomous X will fit no problem.
Just don't plan on using the side fan if the cooler you choose is over 155mm tall.
The 902 is actually wider then the 1200.
Your main concern will be ram clearance with the cooler you choose.

TRENDING THREADS