2600 or 2600k

thekzman

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hello,
Would like to know i'm not going to do any over clocking should i just run with the 2600 to save the 30 or 40 bucks over the 2600k is there really any difference than the ability to over clock better with the 2600k

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
The 2600k is highly superior for OC'ing, the 2600 does not have an unlocked core multiplier, whereas the 2600k does. If you're overclocking the 2600 you can play with the voltages, and it will turbo boost, but that's about it. Going for the 2600k you'll be able to OC to atleast 4.5-4.7Ghz, a few can go higher, and an even smaller minority 5Ghz+, but the k series is definitely worth it.

If you can't get the 2600k, get the 2500k vs the 2600. An OC'd 2500k will supersede a non 'k' 2600. Just make sure you look out for your temperatures, an aftermarket cooler will be needed, and ensure you have a nice power overhead.

[Addendum]: Also, if you're OCing make sure you have a P67 mobo, versus the cheaper, H67 mobos. Overclocking on the P67 is a lot easier, and a lot better.

[Addendum2]: I scan-read and thought that you were OCing, so yes, basically Beanoslim says it all. Although, if you do ever chose to OC, the small extra investment is worth it if there's a level of uncertainty.

thekzman

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks guys yeah I really don't plan on doing any OC at all. Just some really bad things have happened in the past and i would rather no go there again... lol. So being that I'm not going to OC I should stay with the 2600.

Here is what I'm looking at getting let me know what you think thanks.

Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
ASUS ENGTX580/2DI/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580
2X CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
Intel BOXDP67BG LGA 1155
Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
You seem to be preparing to build a computer very similar to the one I'm building right now too :).

The only improvement I could really point out is the motherboard, although fundamentally good, it does have a text based, and somewhat limited bios, versus the graphical interface that modern bioses are starting to take on. However, if you're not going to overclock you're not going to be spending all your time in the bios - so my point really dies there.

My other point is the HDD. Although the 64mb cache is really nice, you can find better HDDs for better prices. Switching to 6Gb/s is rather negligible, this generation of drives simply don't reach such burst speeds, so going for a 3Gb/s will give you equal performance. On the other hand I can't think of an HDD I can recommend for the 64mb cache; you could go for a lesser HDD without any harm if you wanted.

I don't think there's anything else to say really. If you're not at your budget you could get a SSD, or (if you really have money to spare) up your PSU to a 850W and then get a second upper-mid level GPU, a 460 (or 560), or an even lesser one for a PhysX card. As beano said, 650W would be fine.

Regarding the case, if you want to run without aftermarket cooling look into the Coolermaster HAF932, or the Antec 1200/Antec 900.

thekzman

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Going to be buying from newegg its where i do pretty much all my electronics shopping. Granted I haven't done much in years my current machine is a dell machine running a Pentium D with 2 gigs of ram that someone gave me after my house burned down... But thank you guys for all the advice it has helped me out a ton. Once i get it built i will let you know how it runs.

Single card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
SLI cover - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207001

Mobos
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131682&cm_re=p8p67-_-13-131-682-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131679&cm_re=p8p67-_-13-131-679-_-Product
This board has a front usb3 box.

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213&cm_re=haf932-_-11-119-213-_-Product
^Much better cooling than the 600T and IMO a better looking case but thats down to your taste. :D

Good luck with the build.

Zenthar

Distinguished
I understand that bad experience can really make you think twice before trying again, but in this case I think you should reconsider a bit. Just look around on how people do it and remember that OCing doesn't necessarily mean bringing a CPU close to the self-destruct point :p. For example, you could probably buy a 2500K and increase the multiplier by only 1 and get the same speed as the 2600, only the hyperthreading would be missing and you would be saving 80-100$.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most of these guys don't realize that the 2600K also has a superior onboard GPU. This would of course be important if you were using the onboard GPU, even for Intel's new killer-feature, Quick Sync.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What software support quick sync?

The guy is getting a gtx 580 which smashes any onboard graphics solution Intel can come up with the next 10 years or so

Oddly enough, Intel has left the graphics multiplier unlocked on all CPUs, not just the K series.
Read the CPU review, Quick Sync smashed GPU encoding by 4x to 8x. I guess it depends on your priorities, but I've just advised my builder friend to put these in all his high-end office builds.

Crash the problem is if you put in a discrete gaming graphics card the quicksynch is then disabled??

Can you let us know if Chris A got more feedback from Intel on that mate?

For me if I had to chose great encoding vs great gaming the choice would be simple ... buy two !!

heh heh.

The 2600k looks like my next build too !!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Intel was showing off its combo system at CES, using software from LucidLogix to enable both the onboard and discrete GPU. The software uses the onboard GPU as primary, feeding processed video from the discrete GPU through PCIe to the onboard GPU. This method has two advantages:

1.) It keeps the onboard GPU active to allow Quick Sync
2.) It allows the discrete GPU to power down when its added 3D performance isn't necessary.

I believe the Z68 chipset may be necessary for all of this to work, along with the Lucid software, but the finished solution is showing much promise.

BTW, all of what I said is public knowledge available from various web sources, I just bundled that knowledge. If I had any more details, I probably wouldn't be able to tell them.

Zenthar

Distinguished
I heard there was some kind of hack around to enable the QuickSync on H67 boards even when using a discrete GPU. However, this doesn't bring the P67 OC capability. As crash said, Z68 might be the solution to many of those issues.

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
This is just a thought regarding the GPU; from what I've seen the price of 2 560Tis is ~ the price for 1 580, depending on the supplier (I haven't looked around at retail prices much) I expect there'd be a £30 margin either way. It could be worth looking into replacing the single 580 with 2 560Tis in SLI (supposing you have no 2*580 SLI plans). Not sure what the power consumption is, to my knowledge around 50W more than the 580 when under load at retail clock (this isn't a furmark power consumption benchmark, which would over-estimate as usual).

I'd actually be interested in hearing if anyone else active on this thread knows what PSU you'd need for that, given the comparatively low consumption of 1 560, I'm not sure if the 800W+ rule would hold at all. In fact I could see you being able to run this from a 650W PSU if you don't OC the GPU.

[Addendum]: Of course, the 560Ti only supports 2-way SLI, and thus doesn't provide you with as much upgrade potential. If you're just going to be building a PC, no intentions of upgrading it, and then when it's too old building a new one, it'd be an interesting option for instantaneous performance. It could also be interesting as an option for prebuilts... but I'm getting off topic now :p.