Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reformat Existing SSD Running Windows 8 - Had Enough!

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 14, 2013 7:22:50 PM

I realize there are sooo many similar questions, but would like the really smart SSD folks for specific help.

Running existing Windows 8, I want to completely repartition / reformat the drive and install Windows 7.

Do I presume that putting my existing Windows 7 DVD in the optical drive, that the new install will give me the opportunity to wipe the drive for the new installation?

Thanks and I apologize profusely for the probably redundant question!
a b * Windows 8
a b $ Windows 7
a c 544 G Storage
February 14, 2013 7:27:08 PM

scv91355 said:
Do I presume that putting my existing Windows 7 DVD in the optical drive, that the new install will give me the opportunity to wipe the drive for the new installation?


Correct. If you select your previous partition, Windows will delete it (and all data), and begin a fresh install.
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 24, 2013 7:11:09 AM

scv91355 said:
I realize there are sooo many similar questions, but would like the really smart SSD folks for specific help.

Running existing Windows 8, I want to completely repartition / reformat the drive and install Windows 7.

Do I presume that putting my existing Windows 7 DVD in the optical drive, that the new install will give me the opportunity to wipe the drive for the new installation?

Thanks and I apologize profusely for the probably redundant question!


m
0
l
Related resources
July 24, 2013 7:16:02 AM

Anonymous said:
scv91355 said:
I realize there are sooo many similar questions, but would like the really smart SSD folks for specific help.

Running existing Windows 8, I want to completely repartition / reformat the drive and install Windows 7.

Do I presume that putting my existing Windows 7 DVD in the optical drive, that the new install will give me the opportunity to wipe the drive for the new installation?

Thanks and I apologize profusely for the probably redundant question!




I don't know much about that but couldn't that technically cause some problems if the PC was made for Windows 8? Drivers etc..
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 24, 2013 7:29:15 AM

I don't know your level of experience. I have experienced a few roadblocks to installation. Hopefully it will go smooth and what I am about to say will be not useful.
sometimes attempting a reinstall it will fail if my initial boot device is set to the optical drive and then the SSD. Go into the bios and then set the initial boot device to the SSD. then when the bios is starting on most computers F8 selects the "boot menu" and you can select the optical drive, it will usually ask you to press any key and then installation will load, when the computer needs to reboot it will to the SSD and the install will proceed fine
At the install choices window there is upgrade or advanced. Advanced is what you need. It will then show a list of your partitions. I forget what the button is called, advanced options or whatever, but you need to choose it to get the 'delete Partition" and format buttons. BE VERY CAREFUL what partition you delete because it's gone forever. I use 1 TB to 2 TB drives so a 120 GB SSD drive stands out. The list will not mention SSD anywhere so you must go by size. There can also be a small partition of 100 to 200 MB ( yes Megabytes) that you can delete as well. On my computer the SSD is the only primary partition the others are logical/extended so that might help as well. If you are really worried, before you embark on this unplug all your other drives than the SSD, then you cannot make a mistake. The installer may want to re-create that small 100 MB partition, nothing sinister there, but I can give you instructions for getting rid of it if you like. You will want to keep it if you have Pro version and encrypt disk, I cant remember other function off the top of my head.
Should also mention once you blow away all SSD partitions you must create a new one, formatting it is optional. If you create a partition and just hit "next" the OS will install fine (I imagine it does a quick partition).
Enjoy a clean install...make sure first thing you do is install mobo chipset drivers
m
0
l
July 24, 2013 11:27:27 AM

Also you may need to play in the bios. My brother bought a new Desktop and came with Win8 preinstalled. Win7 disc kept giving me errors and not detecting drives properly.
it had to do with the Windows8 having the serial key built into the bios.
I don't recall the option name, but once disabled, Win7 installer started as normal and all was fine.
m
0
l
!