Sign in with
Your question

Ethernet cable through wireless router

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
May 17, 2010 11:08:42 PM

Hello,
I play a couple online games that lag due to the fact that I'm far away from my wireless router. There just isn't enough signal strength for me to enjoy what I'm playing. I decided to buy a 50-foot ethernet cable and run it from my wireless router to my laptop, and my laptop won't recognize that the ethernet cable is plugged in, along with the router. The light for the port I have the cable in is not lit, but it is for the PC I also have running off it. Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thank You.
May 18, 2010 6:20:05 AM

Quote:
Hello,
I play a couple online games that lag due to the fact that I'm far away from my wireless router. There just isn't enough signal strength for me to enjoy what I'm playing. I decided to buy a 50-foot ethernet cable and run it from my wireless router to my laptop, and my laptop won't recognize that the ethernet cable is plugged in, along with the router. The light for the port I have the cable in is not lit, but it is for the PC I also have running off it. Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thank You.

[#0005ff]I woldn't bothe rabout the missing light - a laptop may well not display one. Look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and click the + sign beside Network Adapters. Check that the ethernet adapter is enabled and has a driver then check in Control Panel>Network Setup Wizard and run that.

If the ethernet adapter appears in the list of unconnected hardware, it clearly isn't working so restart the computer and tap whatever you need for BIOS and make sure the adapter is enabled there.
[/#000ff]
!