Simple raid controller explain

cavalierz2

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Please tell me what a raid controller does and whats it for and why would i use one is the most simple way so i can understand it lol

Solution
RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensiive (now Independent) Disks. Simply stated, multiple hard drives running as a single drive when viewed by the operating system. Redundancy is the name of the game. If one drive in the array fails, there is no loss of data and the computer can continue to run normally. When the bad drive is replaced, the RAID controller will rebuild the lost data on that drive by using the remaining drives as a data source.

RAID 0 is not a true raid because it offers no redundancy at all. In this case, if one drive fails, all data on the array is lost.

RAID is not a substitute for backups as a virus or accidental file deletion will effect a RAID array the same way it effects a single drive.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Are you wondering how a raid controller works or how raid works? You will never understand how or why a raid controller does what it does if you do not understand raid in the first place.

Its like asking what is behind the door when you don't know how to open the door.

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensiive (now Independent) Disks. Simply stated, multiple hard drives running as a single drive when viewed by the operating system. Redundancy is the name of the game. If one drive in the array fails, there is no loss of data and the computer can continue to run normally. When the bad drive is replaced, the RAID controller will rebuild the lost data on that drive by using the remaining drives as a data source.

RAID 0 is not a true raid because it offers no redundancy at all. In this case, if one drive fails, all data on the array is lost.

RAID is not a substitute for backups as a virus or accidental file deletion will effect a RAID array the same way it effects a single drive.

Solution