Sign in with
Your question

Can a router or switch shut off at a certain time

Last response: in Networking
May 17, 2010 11:23:21 PM

hope so one can answer for me i have 4 kids and they all have computers in ther room i want to be able to geet something or if my belkin 54 g routor can be set to time mange the system so i dont ihave to worry if the kids are on the internet all night long

thank you
May 18, 2010 1:42:06 AM

thank you and hopfully this will work
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2010 6:17:02 AM

rlocke said:
thank you and hopfully this will work

[#0005ff]I'm sure it will but if you prefer an option that doesn't cost anything, please post back. There's only a few entries to change in your router's settings to allow certain times for certain users so you oculd configure it to give them some Internet time after school, a break inwhich to work and then a couple more hours before bedtime.[/#000ff]
m
l
May 18, 2010 8:31:46 PM

rlocke said:
hope so one can answer for me i have 4 kids and they all have computers in ther room i want to be able to geet something or if my belkin 54 g routor can be set to time mange the system so i dont ihave to worry if the kids are on the internet all night long

thank you

Idk about belkin routers but i know on the linksys there is a field on how you want to internet to come through. For example mon-fro 8-8 have internet any time after that no luck... and sat sun can have internet all day.

Log into you router 192.168.1.1 and look around there (might have flash your firmware if its kinda old router can find that on belkin page)
m
l
May 19, 2010 6:07:48 AM

dcataldo said:

[#0005ff]I think that will actually need to be 192.168.2.1.[/#000ff]
m
l
May 19, 2010 7:44:36 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]I'm sure it will but if you prefer an option that doesn't cost anything, please post back. There's only a few entries to change in your router's settings to allow certain times for certain users so you oculd configure it to give them some Internet time after school, a break inwhich to work and then a couple more hours before bedtime.[/#000ff]

Thank you and yes i can configure the router but unfortunly it will block me to during those times but you have given me a grea idea and that is put my computer on the router and just get a hub theat can do the same restrict time

thank you for or time
rlocke
m
l
May 19, 2010 9:14:12 AM

rlocke said:
Thank you and yes i can configure the router but unfortunly it will block me to during those times but you have given me a grea idea and that is put my computer on the router and just get a hub theat can do the same restrict time

thank you for or time
rlocke

Your router can do it - you just have to think the other way around. If it blocks you during those times, switch the times around. If you want to allow from 18:00 to 20:00, for example, and your router wants to block, change the times to 20:00 to 18:00.

Simples :D 

m
l
May 19, 2010 12:50:07 PM

rlocke said:

thank you for or time
rlocke

like i said idk how it is for belkin but for linksys there is a access list as well. Just look around in that config. Or what you can do is when you don't want your kids on you can turn on MAC filtering and make sure their computers are not on the ACL. When you wanna put back on just turn off MAC filtering. (its a PAIN but its one idea)

And saga its actually what you set your sub-net as. Default is 192.168.1.1 maybe belkin different don't know, you can find out by doing ipconfig /all to find your DG
m
l
May 19, 2010 5:14:33 PM

This is kind of funny. When I was a kid around 10, I was the one the managed the computer(s) and internet. Early 90s, dial up, fun times. Heck, the only computer we owned was in my bed room.

ahh... memories..

Anyway, never had the issue of my parents telling me I couldn't use the computer too late unless it started to affect school e.g. I was tired a few days in a row.

By the age of 12, I spent about 4-8 hours per week fixing other people's computer and making $10-$60 a job. Maybe your kids need some more responsibilities.

How young are your kids? I ask because when I was 13, I was baby sitting my brothers ~8-12 hours per day because my parents were busy building a house and my dad had to work late for $$$. We were fairly poor. So, I was left in charge of a 6month old and a 3 year old. 2 years of this.

Anyway, my brothers are 16 and 18 now and both honor roll with 4.0s and many researches have shown that intelligence is NOT very genetic and up-bringing affects intelligence and maturity more than ALL other variables combine... unless they have a genetic disorder of some sort.

Personally, if I couldn't trust my kids with a computer, I wouldn't have in in their room.
m
l
May 25, 2011 10:49:39 AM

rlocke said:

thank you

Can yuo tell me more about the settings..? I am not a technical basis, and I just follow the manual to set up teh router. Now I am using the wireless , and I need to set teh ports (1-3 ) to be switched off at certain set time... of course not the wireless function (For me only)

Thanks,

Best regards,

Choi
m
l
May 25, 2011 10:50:22 AM

rlocke said:

thank you

Can yuo tell me more about the settings..? I am not a technical basis, and I just follow the manual to set up teh router. Now I am using the wireless , and I need to set teh ports (1-3 ) to be switched off at certain set time... of course not the wireless function (For me only)

Thanks,

Best regards,

Choi
m
l
!