Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about using a USB keyboard, via adapter, from the PS/2 port!

Last response: in Components
January 30, 2011 12:34:29 AM

Here is the situation. It's not a problem since I have an PS/2 board handy at all times. My BIOS update on this Dell, Pent4, KP (runs like a champ!) is like 2003. There is a 2005 update but I have no idea if it would rectify this issue. I'm using an awesome Logitech Illuminated USB keyboard. The USB ports do not power up immediately so if I had to enter Safe Mode, the BIOS or Comodo Time Machines console at boot I could not do it with this keyboard because it doesn't power on until later in the boot cycle. Again, if there was a problem I could just plug in the PS/2 board. Another option, which would be overkill, would be to just use an AC powered USB hub. What I was wondering, if I used a USB female to PS/2 adapter (they cost $1 to $2) would all the features, e.g. function and hotkeys, on my USB board funtion properly? Thank you!
January 30, 2011 9:05:08 AM

Have discovered hotkeys would not work!
m
l
January 30, 2011 9:41:01 AM

Have you gone into the bios and enabled legacy USB support? I find it helps a lot with USB issues.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 30, 2011 5:44:51 PM

Some USB keyboards and mice don't like being plugged into PS2 ports with those adapters and will refuse to work, and some do. I've had mixed results with those adapters. It all depends on if the device supports both modes or not, because those adapters don't have any logic, they just connect certain signal lines and +Vcc.

4745454b is correct, enabling legacy USB support sometimes helps with things like that.

January 31, 2011 8:14:20 AM

Thank you for the replies! I'm reasonably certain this board would not function correctly and my BIOS does not have a "Legacy Keyboard" setting (to old I suspect, last Dell update 2003). Should I have the need to enter the BIOS, Safe Mode or Comodo Time Machines console, I'll just plug in my PS/2 keyboard.
m
l
February 5, 2011 11:53:11 PM

Best answer selected by ratchet.
m
l
!