simpl

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Hello, a few months ago, my computer started shutting down while I was playing games. I finally got around to looking at the temperatures, and it appears my computer is idling at nearly 200 degrees. The instant I turn it on, it's this hot, which doesn't make any sense. As well, when I try to play any games, it shoots up to nearly 130C.
Seeing as I was having heat issues, I decided to try a new power supply; no luck there.

Computer specs:
Thermaltake 750W PS
nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
nVidia 790i FTW mobo
4GB Corsair RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad core, 2.3GHz

Here is the picture from SpeedFan. Any insight into what is causing this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I've had this computer for nearly 2 years.

Fiahhhh.jpg

Check your temperatures in BIOS, if they are also very high check to make sure a push pin didnt come loose on your heatsink, its a common problem with intel heatsinks and will cause the heatsink not to make good contact which causes the CPU to overheat.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
It does not appear to be the CPU thats hot but rather the northbridge heatsink. Power up the computer when is showing those temp touch the norhbridge heatsink if you can't keep your finger on it then that he overhead board chip if not touch the south bridge chip may not have a heat sink if the same thing then youve found the faulty part of the MB and you may need to rma it if reaseating the heatsink doesn't work. ALSO for a little experiment. Open the side panel but a very stong deskfan on it and see what the temps do. You may just need to put a few LARGE case fans blowing on the M/B