Which motherboard

Fern2899

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I have done some research and and came up with my final 2... I need help deciding... There is a like a $50 - $60 price difference...

I'm debating between
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7343080&CatId=6978

Or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7343078&CatId=6978

Please any feedback would be great and experience with either or... I know it's not something to base it on but the sabertooth is better looking... Alot cleaner and sleek looking

I plan on running a i5 2500k and minimum of 8gigs ram (prob 2x4gig)

Feel free to ask any other questions

Fern2899

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

I was planning on keeping it stock speed, im not too familiar with oc'ing

The purpose of my build will be mainly for gaming

and GPU is undecided? got any recomendations

Depends on the budget, but in general the GTX 560, 570 or 580 and I like those from EVGA with Lifetime Warranties.

There's plenty of OC'ing guides, but for OC 4.5GHz or less then minimal changes like CPU Ratio and CPU Voltage can work without needing too many other changes.

dreamwork

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I also prefer companies offering lifetime warranties (XFX does for the AMD Radeon cards).

If you aren't planning on overclocking your CPU at all, then you can save yourself $10 by going after the i5-2500. (No K designation means the CPU is locked from overclocking). Resale value in the future may be higher for the K, though.

With the P8P67 Pro and an i5-2500k, you really should consider at least a little overclocking to get the most bang for the buck (in my opinion it makes the $10 discrepancy between the i5-2500 and i5-2500k completely worth paying the difference).

I agree with @dreamwork regarding XFX for AMD/ATI GPUs and getting the 'K' CPU.

OC'ing is as simple from Stock to ~4.50GHz as setting the: CPU Ratio, CPU Voltage (vCore), and IMO manually setting the 'BCLK'. In addition, you'll need an aftermarket HSF and for 4.0GHz~4.50GHz the Cooler Master 212+ offers a low price with good cooling, and beyond that you'll need to spend double or more for 4.50GHz+.

TRENDING THREADS