Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I buy this, or wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 4, 2010 9:47:37 PM

Hi everyone, someone offered me this PC for $1000. My gf wants a PC to do simulation/modeling. Is this a good price, or should I wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales and build my own?

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2xSLI - BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE 55 896MB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card
http://www.amazon.com/BFG-GeForce-MAXCORE-Express-Graph...

ZALMAN ZM1000-HP 1000W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA 132-BL-E758-RX LGA 1366 Intel X58 3X SLI ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2x, 12 GB total - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

VisionTek 900296 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Killer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pioneer Black 20X DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any thoughts? Didn't plan to OC originally because planning to buy i7-950 @3.07 GHz but will need to with a i7-920

Also, can I buy additional cables for the modular PSU somewhere?

Thanks!
November 4, 2010 9:54:52 PM

thats not really a workstation build do you want to buy a used machine thats a personal decision on purchasing a used machine
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 10:02:30 PM

Drop the Killer Network card, its a waste of money, at best 2% improvement in ping will not help most uses and certainly isnt worth 10% of the budget.

Most of your parts confuse me, you dont need a 1kW PSU unless you are running 3 GTX 480s, 2 GTX 260s isnt going to work well for modeling use since most of the programs wont support SLI, and with i7 950's being about as much as an i7 920 why cant you get the 950?

I would drop down to a nice 850W PSU like this one, it will save you $90 which gives you a lot more freedom.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
November 4, 2010 10:06:04 PM

syxxnyne69 said:
thats not really a workstation build do you want to buy a used machine thats a personal decision on purchasing a used machine


any downside with buying a used PC? What would be a good workstation build?
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 10:07:14 PM

hunter315 said:
Drop the Killer Network card, its a waste of money, at best 2% improvement in ping will not help most uses and certainly isnt worth 10% of the budget.

Most of your parts confuse me, you dont need a 1kW PSU unless you are running 3 GTX 480s, 2 GTX 260s isnt going to work well for modeling use since most of the programs wont support SLI, and with i7 950's being about as much as an i7 920 why cant you get the 950?

I would drop down to a nice 850W PSU like this one, it will save you $90 which gives you a lot more freedom.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


It is a used PC that I don't get to choose the parts. I will probably take the SLI and sub it with a single card. What is a good card for modeling?
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 10:11:45 PM

That's a hard decision. I'm assuming this is used? (Edit: Oops, I guess I took too long to respond.) And probably about a year old, so remember that you won't be getting the full warranty on these parts.
This isn't bad for the money; it probably cost about $1600 when the parts were first purchased. But within just a few months, the CPU and graphics markets will have had a refresh. SB and BD will be released soon, as well as the GTX 580 and HD 69xx cards. Your gf may not need high-end enthusiast-oriented graphics and stuff, but the new releases will drive current product prices down.
This is really up to you.
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 10:19:17 PM

LFaWolf said:
What would be a good workstation build?
A pure workstation build would entail as many cores as you can reasonably afford, as many GBs of RAM as you can reasonably afford, and a dedicated workstation card a higher-end Nvidia card. Plenty of storage would also be a good investment.
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 10:24:36 PM

blackjellognomes said:
A pure workstation build would entail as many cores as you can reasonably afford, as many GBs of RAM as you can reasonably afford, and a dedicated workstation card. Plenty of storage would also be a good investment.


What are the major differences between graphics cards for games and workstations? Are workstations cards optimized for 3D acceleration? I don't play PC games but I thought PC games need 3-D acceleration, no?
m
0
l
November 4, 2010 10:41:17 PM

LFaWolf said:
What are the major differences between graphics cards for games and workstations? Are workstations cards optimized for 3D acceleration? I don't play PC games but I thought PC games need 3-D acceleration, no?
Workstation cards are basically gaming cards with slightly different drivers and much more inflated prices. I think it's best to just get a GTX 470 or two GTX 460s, if they're within your budget.
m
0
l
November 5, 2010 7:16:11 PM

A workstation card usually isn't a whole lot different from a gaming card. In fact, in most cases, they are exactly the same physical hardware, but they use different drivers. Sometimes the drivers are mostly the same, but tweaked specifically for this kind of work (as opposed to the gaming drivers, which would be tweaked for gaming performance).

Mostly though, the difference between these 3D workstation cards and gaming cards, is the price. Workstation ones are hugely more expensive, because they get better support, more thoroughly tested drivers, earlier releases etc.
m
0
l
!