Sign in with
Your question

What is the best graphics card for my computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 1:24:32 PM

Hello,
I'm running an Intel Pentium Processor E6300 2.8 Ghz (released Q2 '09) http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41493&processor=E6...
on an Intel DG31PR motherboard http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dg31...
and running 2GB of Kingston DDR2-800 RAM. And I have a CRT 17" LG Flatron Monitor (I believe the native resolution of which is 1280 x 1024 @ 66Hz) the model number is T713SH
I want to play all kinds of games (the newer ones as well as slightly older ones) and I need help deciding which Graphics Card to buy so that I can get the best card that my system would support without having a 'bottle-neck' effect.
I think the most basic question is which resolution can one play all kinds of games on, at above 27fps. I don't need top of the line graphics and my system isn't one that belongs to the top category, but I'm looking to play all kinds of games with decent graphics and eye-candy and no lag etc.
I'm also running Windows XP Pro which gives me uptil Direct X 9, so I'll need to update that. Was planning to install Windows 7 (if somebody could explain the difference b/w the 32-bit and 64-bit that would be super).
Aside from the above specs I need to upgrade my harddrive (thinking of getting a 500 GB Seagate http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c501895...
and I'll need a better power supply than the 250 W random unit I have installed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Cheers :p  !

More about : graphics card computer

a c 189 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 1:34:47 PM

1. OC your CPU a little bit (3.0GHz or more if you can).
2. Your RAM, is it 1 stick 2GB or 2 stick 1GB?
3. What is your current GPU? HD5670 is more than enough for your resolution.
4. If you aren't planning to get a bigger monitor then buy a new PSU (400W is enough), choose trusted brands like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, OCZ, SilverStone. If that's too expensive then CoolerMaster 400W is okay.
5. 32bit OS only read 3.2GB of RAM, 64bit OS can read MORE.
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 1:38:28 PM

Upgrade PSU to a good 400W and get a 5750.A GTS 250 will also suffice.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 2:23:12 PM

Firstly, a big thankyou for the fast reply !

My RAM is 1 stick 2 GB. Since I'm a novice, could you educate me as to what the difference b/w a 1 stick 2 GB and a 2 stick 1 GB is. Thanks

I currently don't own a GPU. It'd be my first GPU if I were to purchase one.

I'm not currently planning to get a bigger monitor. I think I should be able to do some decent gaming on my CRT. I also did some reading and realized that for CRT monitors, there is no such thing as native resolution, which is only for LCD monitors. And CRT monitors can adjust to a number of different resolutions.

From my own amateur research I was leaning towards the HD 5670 too. And it's just about in my budget (hopefully :p ).
But I read about the recent release of the GTS450 which if I'm correct costs around $130 (?) ... my question is .... would this have any effect on the prices of some cards such as the HD 5670 ?
If so I could maybe wait a while for prices to drop and then make the purchase ...

Cheers
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 2:56:53 PM

1. If you use 2 sticks 2GB of RAM then you will activated feature called "dual channels mode", so your system will be more faster if you use 2 sticks of RAM instead of 1.
2. Yes, for just CRT monitor then HD5670 is good. No, do not get GTS250, that's an overkill for your monitor.
!