Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel i3 Cooler Installation (Thermal Paste Questions)

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2011 8:19:28 AM

Hello,
First time installing a CPU and having some trouble with the original Intel cooler that came with my i3-540.
I was under the impression that some kind of thermal paste will be included in the package, but apparently not. What can i use as thermal paste to apply on top of the CPU?
Also, the manuals state i should apply an even amount in a thin layer, so can anyone indicate how much exactly should i apply and how to spread the paste so it's even and thin layered?

Thanks.
a c 159 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 30, 2011 8:54:41 AM

Your Intel oem stock heatsink has a pad to use that's already appllied at the factory, with spacing between the material. You don't need thermal paste. I've even reinstalled without cleaning the old stuff off. With the stock heatsink and pad, my temps range from 35-60c running an i3 530 at 3.5 overclocked.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2011 9:27:45 AM

Hi Makaveli... if you have removed the three small strips of TIM which comes with your OEM intel cooler, then you need a fresh coat of TIM... get any one of good TIMS in market like AS5 or TS4 or MX2 for around $10 (it should last you more than 10 installations)... then apply like how it is done in the below videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMx2lIt5RC4 (watch the last frame)...
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU2_uP9S9Gg&feature=rela...
Score
Related resources
January 30, 2011 9:53:26 AM

I have not removed the 3 stripes, and the cooler is still unused. So according to what you guys are saying, i should simply mount it and that's it?!
Also, i'm not sure about the OEM thing, but i purchased the CPU as "boxed", and the small box had the intel cooler in it, alongside the CPU. Not sure if that qualifies it as an OEM cooler or not, or if it makes a difference whatsoever...
Score
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2011 10:08:14 AM

Makaveli84 said:
I have not removed the 3 stripes, and the cooler is still unused. So according to what you guys are saying, i should simply mount it and that's it?!
Also, i'm not sure about the OEM thing, but i purchased the CPU as "boxed", and the small box had the intel cooler in it, alongside the CPU. Not sure if that qualifies it as an OEM cooler or not, or if it makes a difference whatsoever...

What you have is the stock INTEL cooler. An OEM cooler is one from some other source than Intel, such as CoolerMaster, etc. :bounce: 
Score

Best solution

a c 159 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 30, 2011 10:42:07 AM

Sorry for the misleading statement. Be sure to face the heatsink the correct way so the wire reaches the fan port before pressing on the four pins. If the pins are turned correctly, the heatsink will lock in place by simply pressing on all four at once. If not, read the directions that come with your cpu.
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2011 11:16:47 AM

for normal operations that original strip should be sufficient for starting the rig after building it... but i would recommend a proper TIM to be bought and installed if not now then at a later date...
Score
January 30, 2011 2:59:28 PM

The paste included by Intel on its stock heatsink is obviously something that meets intel's quality standards. So just make do with that.
Score
January 30, 2011 3:51:09 PM

Best answer selected by Makaveli84.
Score
January 30, 2011 3:54:13 PM

Thx for the help guys.. The paste on the Intel cooler not being a regular square confused me a bit. Now i understand that those 3 stripes are the "paste". That's enough for the time being.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2011 6:14:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!