Motherboard without on board graphics. Boot PCI-E with no drivers?

notsohandyandy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hi peeps, I've found that i've got enough parts for a new PC build. The thing is my mobo (P5LD2 SE) doesnt have any on board graphics so I've used an 8800gtx pci-e x16 but get no Bios. Lights come on on the mobo but i get Beeps but not found exactly what the beep messages are for this board and the ones i have found for similar are a little ambiguous.

I bought the mobo 2nd hand so need to figure out if thats working or not.

What i was wandering is would it boot using the pci-e x16 without any drivers installed or should i buy/use an old pci GPU?

Any help would be greatfully received :D

notsohandyandy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies.
I'm pretty sure i hooked up 2 6pins to the card. BTW i forgot to mention, i was using a dvi to hdmi coz that was the only cable i've got that would fit. Cud that be a cause o f the problem? Perhaps I should try another cable?

notsohandyandy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hey, think it may be a duff mobo. Tried again with a small dvi pci-e card but to no avail. I am gettin beeps, sound to me like 1 long, 3 short then a gap and another 2 short. This doesnt match the beep codes given on Asus website ( http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=P5LD2 SE&s=22&hashedid=ly0uHyAg2GI5nzmr&os=&no=978) unless the beeps are just 5 short which would a cpu issue. The Cpu is compatible and it is an old one so should be supported by the 1st BIOS. I think i'm gonna give up unless anyone has anything else i could try.

notsohandyandy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
BTW. i can powerup the obviously, the powerbutton works and the fans and lights on the board do come on and i can power back down using the power button.