Best new HDD?

simmy9five

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hello I'm looking to get a new HDD around 1TB-2TB as my primary drive, what would be the best options right now as I'm kinda lost in the HDD market.

butremor

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
i think, currently there is two leaders in hdd market recognized the most: western digital and seagate.
For serving as primary drives i suggest: Black series from WD. And Barracuda series from Seagate.
As it is primary look for 7200 RPM speed and 64MB cache(32 also good).
Plus from WD side there is also Blue series, which are also good, but come with less warranty than black.

simmy9five

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

So now I have a choice between the WD Black WD1002FAEX and Seagate 7200.14 ST1000DM003, the WD has a 5 year warranty but the Seagate is cheaper. What would be your pick?

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Out of personal preference alone I would pick the seagate. WD is a great brand but seagate is what I have always used over them for no particular reason.

I have been buying WD Black drives. All other consumer drives have reduced their warranties, often to as little as two years (some were only a year for a while, but I think they're back to two). That suggests a lack of confidence in new materials and/or methods. I had one DOA drive, but that can happen to anyone; I've put 6-7 out there over the last few years, and none have so much as hiccuped.
Edit: To be fair, I've got some Seagate Barracudas out there too that have been flawless, but they are pre-flood 7200.12 models from before warranties dropped.

I also recommend moving to a smaller SSD/large storage hard disk combination. SSDs improve much more than just load times. I would not not build a computer today that didn't have one at least for the OS/applications.

If you do go with a hard disk, go with WD Black, they are great drives with a long warranty.

If your budget allows, I agree with maestro0428. I am very hesitant to build a machine without a SSD now. If you can afford one, make sure it is at least 120GB. I avoid OCZ drives like the plague, particularly Sandforce models, due to [past] reliability issues. My choices would be Samsung 840 or Crucial M4.

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
"Best" really depends what's important to you. If its speed then I'd recommend a SSD. Samsung 830 is a great series. If its storage space then I recommend a Seagate 3 TB. They have those on Newegg right now for about $140. All really depends what you're looking for.

simmy9five

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Well, actually I decided to save my money towards a 256GB SSD, I own a 2 year old WD Black 500GB and realised that I won't really see a very noticeable performance hike from a newer HDD. I should comfortably fit within 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD