How can i tell if my psu is dead or not?

sunhashin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I have a computer that has been freezing on me many times so I took a quick peek at the hardware and found out 1 of the psu fans wasnt working because of a cut wire. I took the psu out to replace it with another psu but it didnt have the right cords for the mobo. I plugged in the cords to the mobo anyways. The mobo needed one of those 8 thing connector thingys instead of the default 4. I dont know what you call that but i hope someone knows what im trying to say. Anyways after i put those cords in i tried to turn on the pc. the pc would not boot. Then I took apart my old psu and taped the cut wires together and put the psu back into my pc. After i plugged everything into the right places, i tried to turn it on. The pc would not turn on again.

Now I don't know why my pc wont boot. It was booting fine before I did all of that(explained in the paragraph above.) And also I would like to note that the mobo LED light turns on with both psu's. So that is really trippin me out. I dont know if my psu is dead or not because the LED is on. How can I tell if my psu is dead or not?

Please if you see what I did wrong here, let me know so I can hurry up and buy a new part to fix it. I dont know if its the psu,mobo, or case thats at fault. >_<

Solution

That is good for the price (after MIR) and has all the connectors you need.

newjackcity

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
i know putting the PSU in another comp is a way to test your PSU. i did see that pulled one from an old PC. does your PSU from the old comp meet the requirements of ur new comp? and was wondering if there are other ways to test my PSU

newjackcity

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
from what i have read no. the 8pin (unless your using a lot of power consumption) is more like a safety feature. not so sure about the 20/24 pin but i would think its the same as the 4/8 connector

sunhashin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
i have just decided to buy a new psu. I am having a hard time finding one because I need one that has the 8 pins for the motherboard. The 8 pin thing im talking about is usually between the ps2 ports and cpu. And its usually a 4pin. For some reason this computer is the only one Ive seen using 8 pins. Anyways can someone post some links for power supplies under $75.

My specs are

Intel Quad Core 2.6ghz
2x 1GB ddr2 Corhair ram
1x500gb HDD
1xCD/DVD Drive
5xFans
8600gts

That is good for the price (after MIR) and has all the connectors you need.

Solution