Wireless Adapter

luciped

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I have a desktop running Windows 7 64 home premium, and an old D-link router. Currently I have a wired connection, but its impractical and I wanted to know what would be a good wireless adapter for my desktop. I would prefer for it to have a pci connection vs. usb. And is there any difference in quality between the PCI and PCIe cards? Can any one suggest a specific adapter for me?

Solution
G
Not yet familiar with PCIe.

How old is the router -- should be okay so long as it's 802.11g (or n). If n might be wiser to stick with Dlink brand when choosing adapter.

PCI is a better choice than USB in my experience. Aside from comment above, brand isn't a great issue -- even the cheap ones use the same small pool of chipset makers. Difference is mainly down to after-sales support.
G

Not yet familiar with PCIe.

How old is the router -- should be okay so long as it's 802.11g (or n). If n might be wiser to stick with Dlink brand when choosing adapter.

PCI is a better choice than USB in my experience. Aside from comment above, brand isn't a great issue -- even the cheap ones use the same small pool of chipset makers. Difference is mainly down to after-sales support.

Solution