E2160 OC problem on Asrock mobo

valentyn0

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Hi , can anyone give me some advice with OC'ing an E2160(Conroe-1M,stepping D ,revision M0)on Asrock P5B-DE mobo(latest BIOS) and DDR2-800Mhz-2x1GB-Kingmax RAM ?
The CPU runs @1.8Ghz on stock cooler with idle temps @30-35*C, prime95 45-48*C load temps but when i tried to OC @2.7 then 3.0Ghz and booted in windows(7ult/32b) it freezes (right at the windows logo boot screen. After that i lowered the FSB to 266 resultin the 2.4Ghz freq. and it allowed me to boot in windows eventually , but right after i tried to click on smth i got an BSOD (no files from windows was specified as faulty , just dumped the memory and restarted).
The only settings i changed in BIOS was the async function for PCI-E-CPU so it wont affect the PCI-E clock and the manual memory Freq from auto to the highest possible freq achieavable from the standard 3 settings only RAM freq. that allowed me to set on , so on 2.4Ghz OC i could get the ram set to 800 Mhz (the BIOS doesnt have the function to unlink FSB speed from the DDR RAM bus) on 2.7Ghz and 3.0Ghz OC the RAM highest freq would get near 750 and lower (i choose that setting as to not OC the RAM also , where the resulted max speed would be over 900 Mhz when the FSB went over 266Mhz).
All the voltages were set on Auto since i dont know the manual settings for OC this cpu on this mobo's chipset (P965); i searched here on tom's forum about this CPU but every thread was about OC'ing on different mobos than mine , so i need some advice with this.

You may have to set the ram speed down to 533 or 667 to overclock the cpu. The net ram speed may change and be displayed before you "save and exit" the bios. If that doesn't work, then your board or cpu may be limiting your overclock.

valentyn0

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
the multiplier is as usual locked at max x9 and min x6 (as with all e2160's revisions) , as im writing this down i managed to OC it to 2.4(266x9 and RAM @800 using manual setting out of 3 choices ,each being different since the fsb got changed, hate it that it doesnt have FSB:DDR ratio changer like other mobos), tested with super pi -ok then after 5 minutes of prime 95 it freezed and my temps are under 40*C on super (half load ) in prime 95 , full load over 57*C.

valentyn0

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
those are old stuff, mostly for old pc's , wont help my OC problem at all , i need some advice on this mobo issue even though i expected it to work fine @ 3ghz stock voltage as others have done b4.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Is this PC to be used for gaming, movie watching, or general work?

Also, have you upgraded the BIOS on this MB yet?

I don't know if you have a budget at the moment, but a CPU with a faster FSB can give you a good speed boost without OCing (not that it's not a fun exercise). Your ram speed already exceeds that you would need for a 1333fsb CPU (667mhz ram at stock)

A 1.8ghz 800mhz FSB 1mb cache CPU on a MB that will handle 1333 FSB Core 2 Duo and Quad chips seems prime for a new or used E6000 or E8000 series chip (that you may still be able to OC for more speed)

valentyn0

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

The general use of the PC would be multimedia but some gaming also, the mobo is updated with the latest bios hence i purchased it at the end of 2010 and asrock site didnt have newer updates for it; i wont upgrade the cpu atm since i already bought a new fermi class videocard (my old one died , well some capacitors to be more precise but that's another issue), my memories are running at default 800Mhz not 667, last night i OC'ed the cpu at 3ghz with a stable fsb of 1333 (except booting into windows) like i said b4 and my RAM speed would exceed 1200 Mhz if i let it on auto so i chose 800Mhz as the 1st setting which was initially 533 in the RAM table (the BIOS is from AMI , unlike Award BIOS'es i've seen so far that have a ratio changer);

Last night after i played with the timings of the memory (2.4ghz cpu , ram @ 800) so i could boot into windows , stable and errors free , i changed an option by mistake "Strap FSB to MCH" to 1066 from AUTO , now that thing left me in the dark (blank screen, but the 1 bip could still be heard meaning it was ok ) but after i restarted again it gave me 3 short bips (i knew it was the memory) so i managed to enter the BIOS as fast as i could and at the 1st screen info i saw my memories running at a STAGGERING 1200 MHZ HOLY *** !!! went as fast as i could to the OC area and changed the strab thingy on AUTO , saved , rebooted and no more killer bips ! I was shocked a bit that the memory modules didnt BURN or smth and not to mention that my timings were changed from default 5.5.5.18 to 4.4.4.12 (those are the default timings for 533mhz DDR) meaning not only did i made a mistake but the BIOS also wrongfully set the timings too fast ( i wonder if someone here would be right in his mind to use those settings on a max 800MHZ DDR memory chip and boosting it to 50% OC)

SO the cpu is stable now at 2.4ghz (33% OC) RAM's@800MHz manually 1 out of 3 only setup and timings also manually @ 5.5.5.18etc (taken from the default AUTO non overcloked CPU BUS) ; I want to go further stabilizing to 2.7 and finally to 3.Ghz but i cant boot into windows without getting it freezed (im guessing it's the memories fault since it processes data , whereas in BIOS it doesnt do much and stays stable) HALP?

tipgol

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
It's agreat motherboard to overcloking. I ocercloked my E2140 from 1,6 do 2,8 and probably it get more but it;s enought for me for now :) The overcloking is simple if you've read carefully manual to mobo. I quote some verses " When you mount a FSB 800 or FSB 1066 CPU and try to overclock [..' you may face the problem that DRAM frequency will be overclocked very high"

So if you want proceed you need to adjust jumpers on your motherbord.
According to manual ( I tried it in my own with my Asrock Pr3Twins1600) you should find FSB3 and FSB2 on your motherboard, it's next to to PCI-Expres port, if you have graphic card mounted it's probably covered. So dismantle card to get to the ports. Follow next steps:

A) IF YOU HAVE FSB 800 CPU -change jumpers from 1 and 2 pins to 4 and 5 pins on both FSB2 and FSB3 ( DO NOT CHANGE ANY JUMPERS ON FSB1)

Now when you get to the BIOS you can change FSB and the DRAM will not overckloked high. IF you overckloed too much the botherboard after three flase starts will reset configs to default.

B) IF YOU HAVE FSB 1066 - change jumpers from 1 nad 2 on FSB2 to 4 nad 5. On FSB3 change jumpers from 1 and 2 to 3 and 4 ( DO NOT CHANGE ANY JUMPERS ON FSB1)

Now when you get to the BIOS you can change FSB and the DRAM will not overckloked high. IF you overckloed too much the botherboard after three flase starts will reset configs to default.

C) IF YOU HAVE FSB 1333 - change jumpers from 1 nad 2 to 3 and 4 on both FSB2 and FSB3 ( DO NOT CHANGE ANY JUMPERS ON FSB1).

If you ever have any questions about it just ask piotrgolon@gmail.com