Sign in with
Your question

General Advice for Project (NVIDIA VS ATI) FANBOYS INVITED

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2010 3:00:12 PM

:ange:  y university assignment was to study any company's market growth after a downfall( minor or major). so i decided to check nvidia's situation as they were delayed on the market by almost 6 months. So i just wanted some viewpoints on
"CAN NVIDIA BEAT ATI USIG ITS NEXT GEN FERMI GPU...?" ;) 
its just a simple question. even fanboys are allowed to comment as i need to take a large pool of information and give a neutral opinion. BUT PLEASE DONOT FIGHT OR ARGUE.... :non:  THANK YOU ANY COMMENT IS RENDERED VALUABLE. :D 
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 3:06:25 PM

We can't tests cards that doesn't exist...
m
l
September 15, 2010 3:11:46 PM

no i meant the current lineup... oops
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2010 3:15:36 PM

Quote:
And what a good way to say i want to start a flame war becoz my university want a report.Buzz Off:

dude ever heard of something known as SYMBIOSIS INSTITUTE... if not then please check it out... i am not starting a flame war. i just want feedback. if you cant provide a positive one then dont post.. nobody forced you...!
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 3:19:07 PM

Current situation: GTX460 is the best wise-budget gaming card for today...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 3:26:01 PM

Neither companies portfolio solely relies on discrete enthusiast graphics cards. So getting fanboys rants as source information is not going to help you learn either companies history. Meaning the graphics section on this type of forum is to discuss the hardware. This is almost like asking to discuss politics. imo.
m
l
September 15, 2010 3:29:59 PM

notty22 said:
Neither companies portfolio solely relies on discrete enthusiast graphics cards. So getting fanboys rants as source information is not going to help you learn either companies history. Meaning the graphics section on this type of forum is to discuss the hardware. This is almost like asking to discuss politics. imo.
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/notty222/nvidiacompanybreakdown-1-1.png

i hear ya.. actually i was clueless on how to get info. so i posted a thread. i thought that the fanboys may add to the content but i never expected people to criticise (not you :)  ) me for just posting a question
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 3:56:48 PM

I heard that ATI uses a special chemical on there PCB's that turns you gay if you touch one of their cards. Just a rumor I heard, don't shoot the messenger ;) 
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:04:12 PM

Quote:
And nvidia uses a chemical which turns you lesbian.Just a rumor i heard.

now look who's spreading the flame........... anyways dude BUSINESS BASED DATA IS COLLECTED BY A SURVEY AND NOT BY A PERSONAL OPINION
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:05:40 PM

benski said:
I heard that ATI uses a special chemical on there PCB's that turns you gay if you touch one of their cards. Just a rumor I heard, don't shoot the messenger ;) 

DUDE EVEN I PREFER NVIDIA... But lets not get nasty shall we... besides we've gotta agree that the 5000 series are a pretty good improvement from the 4000 series
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 4:20:29 PM

Yes, HD5xxx series are the KING before the FERMI cards released.
HD5770 and HD5850 are wise-budget gaming cards before GTX460 come.
Not too impressed with GTX470 and GTX480 performance, but they surely (generally) produce a lot amount of heat and noise...
Well, that's for now, we can wait until HD6xxx series and we'll see how's those cards compared with FERMI cards...
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:24:40 PM

consider a situation where you have to buy a gpu immediately and cannot wait. what would you prefer in any price range ( stay away from 5970 ) ?
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 4:42:16 PM

HD5850... :) 
m
l
September 15, 2010 4:47:29 PM

wa1 said:
HD5850... :) 

Good Choice but what about CUDA and PHYSX (now supporting more than 10 titles) and 3D :bounce: 
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 4:57:22 PM

nah, i'm not graphic designer that works with CS5 and i'm not interested with PhysX also 3D (that's makes my eyes hurt)...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:02:16 PM

Quote:
My University gave us an assignment that was to study a company's market growth after a certain period. So I decided to check Nvidia's situation where they released their Fermi series 6 months after the launch of AMD's 5000 series. So I wanted to know what your thoughts are on who might be the overall victor as of this period.

"CAN NVIDIA SUCCESFULLY RELEASE A SERIES THAT COMPETES AGAINST IT'S COMPETITION?"

It would be nice to hear people's opinions about this topic at hand. Fanboys are allowed to comment with their opinions as well, for I need to give a neutral opinion based off the info given from both sides.

Seems a bit less of a, "I want to start a flame thread and get banned by monkey."

In all honesty, I bought a Vapor-x 5770 and found it perfect for the amount of gaming that I do. At the same time, I bought my 5770 when the 460 came out about a week or so later. Seeing the benchmarks of the 460, I was very interested in getting my money back from the 5770 and buying a 460. I ended up keeping the 5770, because it was still the best price/performance in my amount of gaming.
m
l
September 15, 2010 5:06:54 PM

wa1 said:
nah, i'm not graphic designer that works with CS5 and i'm not interested with PhysX also 3D (that's makes my eyes hurt)...

lol :D 
m
l
September 15, 2010 5:08:42 PM

dalta centauri said:
Quote:
My University gave us an assignment that was to study a company's market growth after a certain period. So I decided to check Nvidia's situation where they released their Fermi series 6 months after the launch of AMD's 5000 series. So I wanted to know what your thoughts are on who might be the overall victor as of this period.

"CAN NVIDIA SUCCESFULLY RELEASE A SERIES THAT COMPETES AGAINST IT'S COMPETITION?"

It would be nice to hear people's opinions about this topic at hand. Fanboys are allowed to comment with their opinions as well, for I need to give a neutral opinion based off the info given from both sides.

Seems a bit less of a, "I want to start a flame thread and get banned by monkey."

In all honesty, I bought a Vapor-x 5770 and found it perfect for the amount of gaming that I do. At the same time, I bought my 5770 when the 460 came out about a week or so later. Seeing the benchmarks of the 460, I was very interested in getting my money back from the 5770 and buying a 460. I ended up keeping the 5770, because it was still the best price/performance in my amount of gaming.

thanks for understanding... ;)  i would even as monkey to answer my question if i could... anyways good choice retaining the 5770. if i were you i would oc it... :whistle: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 5:22:07 PM

warlord1609 said:
thanks for understanding... ;)  i would even as monkey to answer my question if i could... anyways good choice retaining the 5770. if i were you i would oc it... :whistle: 

Already did...
If this were facepunch I'd rate you a late!
(950/1400)
m
l
September 15, 2010 5:26:11 PM

dalta centauri said:
Already did...
If this were facepunch I'd rate you a late!
(950/1400)

nice clocks.... hard for me to oc a 470... if i even touch it ill be boiling my hands off :kaola: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 5:52:04 PM

I've always been an ATI guy but I recently bought an NVIDIA card because of the added features of Physx and mostly for the 3D. At this point Nvidia is the only one offering support for HDMI 1.4 and 3d blu-rays, and the stereoscopic gaming is actually pretty cool with just the red/blue glasses. I plan to get a 3d compatable projector and the lcd shutter glasses in the next year or so after the bulb in my current projector goes out. Basically I couldn't justify any ATI card currently on the market because I wasn't sure if they would ever offer support for 3D, so if 3D becomes important to much of the market like it was to me then ATI could be left out in the cold.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a c 172 Î Nvidia
September 15, 2010 5:53:39 PM

dalta centauri said:
Quote:

I've only just logged on and seen this thread but it and the "What makes a fanboy?" thread are looking like prime candidates for the bin so far [:mousemonkey] , so what is the question being asked by the OP now?
m
l
September 15, 2010 6:25:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I've only just logged on and seen this thread but it and the "What makes a fanboy?" thread are looking like prime candidates for the bin so far [:mousemonkey] , so what is the question being asked by the OP now?

all i am asking is for humble view points and nothing much. I like both companies and its the competition between that them which gives better products. So i would just wait for a while before the thread goes to the bin
m
l
September 16, 2010 8:58:52 AM

warlord1609 said:
:ange:  y university assignment was to study any company's market growth after a downfall( minor or major). so i decided to check nvidia's situation as they were delayed on the market by almost 6 months. So i just wanted some viewpoints on
its just a simple question. even fanboys are allowed to comment as i need to take a large pool of information and give a neutral opinion. BUT PLEASE DONOT FIGHT OR ARGUE.... :non:  THANK YOU ANY COMMENT IS RENDERED VALUABLE. :D 

Since you kind of sincere, I'll try to answer along with my ideas and hopes for the future. :p 

Well, if you're talking about the performance of current Fermi VS AMD's current generation. In a technical sense, Fermi is the fastest right now. But not everything can be put on pure horsepower to win.

The current video card generation reminds of the 70's US muscle card versus the eighties Japanese sports cars. The US muscle cars, which I'll compare to Fermi, aims to as much pure power as possible, using existing materials almost ignoring anything else. Currently, the highest end Fermi parts's power consumption and heat levels are kind of high, but it's the fastest. It's best advantage is knowledge and usage of the current process nodes, but sadly with the high power requirements of Fermi, it seems the current process node (45nm) cannot cope with this resulting in a somewhat incomplete product (The final products specs a little less than the announced specs.)

AMD's current generation seems to stem from a learning curve derived from a flawed product cycle (The Radeon 2000 series.) , their current idea is to create something from the newest available technology (Process nodes), while putting advance plans for a double burger-style of device (The Radeon X2 series) for their highend producs. On development, this sounds riskier as with dealing with new and untested technologies, however if this works, they will have a product that is comparable to the competition's performance, but more income per sale, more products per batch while also having lower power consumption and heat generation as well.

My opinion on the nVidia 400 VS the AMD 5000 series? Nvidia still has the crown for the fastest, but it's high end products are unattractive to the masses due to it's oftenly reported power draw and heat generation. And there may be trouble ahead due to the cancellation of the following process node (32nm) , which Fermi might need.

AMD is in a somewhat better position, having created plans for every new process nodes and still ending up with competitive products, now they seem to be focusing to removing their following products bottlenecks due to the process node delay. But it seems to be doing well, they plan to create a new architecture in as early as late 2011, then we'll see where AMD's plans will go.
m
l
September 16, 2010 1:20:59 PM

Nicely explained stridervm. I particularly liked the analogy to the 70s muscle cars. Thanks for enlightening us!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 16, 2010 3:07:57 PM

I drive a 1972 Oldsmobile 442 so I guess that's why I bought a fermi :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2010 4:31:30 PM

benski said:
I drive a 1972 Oldsmobile 442 so I guess that's why I bought a fermi :) 

I like the Batmobile so I guess that's why I bought a Radeon...oh wait.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 16, 2010 5:29:15 PM

warlord1609 said:

by stating next gen fermi, did you mean something like GF200 (or what ever nvidia want to call their chip for the next gen)?
m
l
September 18, 2010 3:49:45 AM

renz496 said:
by stating next gen fermi, did you mean something like GF200 (or what ever nvidia want to call their chip for the next gen)?

no i meant the so called next gen gpu ir the gtx 400 series
m
l
September 18, 2010 3:50:41 AM

stridervm said:
Since you kind of sincere, I'll try to answer along with my ideas and hopes for the future. :p 

Well, if you're talking about the performance of current Fermi VS AMD's current generation. In a technical sense, Fermi is the fastest right now. But not everything can be put on pure horsepower to win.

The current video card generation reminds of the 70's US muscle card versus the eighties Japanese sports cars. The US muscle cars, which I'll compare to Fermi, aims to as much pure power as possible, using existing materials almost ignoring anything else. Currently, the highest end Fermi parts's power consumption and heat levels are kind of high, but it's the fastest. It's best advantage is knowledge and usage of the current process nodes, but sadly with the high power requirements of Fermi, it seems the current process node (45nm) cannot cope with this resulting in a somewhat incomplete product (The final products specs a little less than the announced specs.)

AMD's current generation seems to stem from a learning curve derived from a flawed product cycle (The Radeon 2000 series.) , their current idea is to create something from the newest available technology (Process nodes), while putting advance plans for a double burger-style of device (The Radeon X2 series) for their highend producs. On development, this sounds riskier as with dealing with new and untested technologies, however if this works, they will have a product that is comparable to the competition's performance, but more income per sale, more products per batch while also having lower power consumption and heat generation as well.

My opinion on the nVidia 400 VS the AMD 5000 series? Nvidia still has the crown for the fastest, but it's high end products are unattractive to the masses due to it's oftenly reported power draw and heat generation. And there may be trouble ahead due to the cancellation of the following process node (32nm) , which Fermi might need.

AMD is in a somewhat better position, having created plans for every new process nodes and still ending up with competitive products, now they seem to be focusing to removing their following products bottlenecks due to the process node delay. But it seems to be doing well, they plan to create a new architecture in as early as late 2011, then we'll see where AMD's plans will go.

this was a beautiful answer.. really helped a lot..
m
l
!