Mobo Power question

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
My board: ASUS Sabertooth X58.

I recently did some rewiring on my desktop to organize everything so that it would be easier to make additions in the future. I realized that my PSU was connected to my mobo at 2 points: a 24pin and a 4 pin. My PSU also has an extra 8 pin power cable sitting around. The point where my 4 pin attached to the mobo was originally 8 pin, but had half of it blocked off. Can any one explain why half was blocked off originally? Is it safe to use the 8 pin, or would do you recommend I use a 4 pin?

This is my PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-OCZ+Technology-_-17341018

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
You can get by by only using 4 pins of the 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector on the motherboard.

It is preferable to use all 8 pins though to distribute the electrical current draw over more wires. So go ahead and connect the 8-pin EPS12V connector from the power supply to the motherboard.
You can get by by only using 4 pins of the 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector on the motherboard.

It is preferable to use all 8 pins though to distribute the electrical current draw over more wires. So go ahead and connect the 8-pin EPS12V connector from the power supply to the motherboard.

Solution