P5 Glove and UT2004

http://search.ebay.ca/p5%20glove

Just curious as to whether anyone has tried playing UT2003/4 with this
peripheral. Just bought one of eBay, as it's going for a very reasonable
price right now.

I've read that it's Windows drivers map it to an 11-axis joystick; can
inputs for Fire and AltFire be set to joystick axes?
7 answers Last reply
More about glove ut2004
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Dekaritae wrote:
    > http://search.ebay.ca/p5%20glove
    >
    > Just curious as to whether anyone has tried playing UT2003/4 with this
    > peripheral. Just bought one of eBay, as it's going for a very reasonable
    > price right now.
    >
    > I've read that it's Windows drivers map it to an 11-axis joystick; can
    > inputs for Fire and AltFire be set to joystick axes?

    A bit of digging found this page, which mentions a DirectInput emulation
    driver for the glove. That should allow it to function as a regular
    joystick in UT2004, albeit with a lot more axes than normal.

    Also, there's a plugin for Girder, which would make it possible to
    assign keystrokes or key combinations to points on each axis (say,
    Spacebar for jump, at the top of the thumb axis, and Ctrl for crouch at
    the bottom).

    http://www.zzz.com.ru/index.php?area=pages&action=view_page&page_id=11
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    I had tought of one of those when they came out but the following though
    kind of stopped me:
    With these you have to play all the time with your arm stretched in front of
    you aiming at the monitor. I guess I would not last 2 or 3 hour sessions
    this way

    HellSpawn

    "Dekaritae" <maur@mdi.ca> wrote in message
    > http://search.ebay.ca/p5%20glove
    >
    > Just curious as to whether anyone has tried playing UT2003/4 with this
    > peripheral. Just bought one of eBay, as it's going for a very reasonable
    > price right now.
    >
    > I've read that it's Windows drivers map it to an 11-axis joystick; can
    > inputs for Fire and AltFire be set to joystick axes?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Dekaritae wrote:

    > http://search.ebay.ca/p5%20glove
    >
    > Just curious as to whether anyone has tried playing UT2003/4 with this
    > peripheral. Just bought one of eBay, as it's going for a very reasonable
    > price right now.

    Reminds me a little bit about a baseless joystick a friend of mine once
    bought something like 20 years ago.

    You had to hold it and then tilt it enough to let the weight inside lean
    to one side to determin your directional input, fun except when doing
    fast manouvers where the weight inside would get banged against the
    wrong side due to movement acceleration.

    And then there was the whole holding the stick out in free air problem,
    just try doing it with you arm for 5 miniutes. There is no way that is
    good for anything, except muscle training and perhaphs running up a
    doctors bill if you keep at it:-)

    Kind regards

    Bruno
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    iddqd wrote:

    > You had to hold it and then tilt it enough to let the weight inside lean
    > to one side to determin your directional input, fun except when doing
    > fast manouvers where the weight inside would get banged against the
    > wrong side due to movement acceleration.
    >
    > And then there was the whole holding the stick out in free air problem,
    > just try doing it with you arm for 5 miniutes. There is no way that is
    > good for anything, except muscle training and perhaphs running up a
    > doctors bill if you keep at it:-)

    I was thinking about that actually, and it occurs to me that the glove
    could be useful without the spacial tracking being used. Suppose it was
    worn while using a regular mouse, with the finger axes set to function
    as digital buttons, with the null state as a comfortable mouse grip
    position, and the active state as each finger fully extended.

    In effect, it would be like having five extra mouse buttons in addition
    to the four on my optical mouse, which I could bind to various weapon
    toggles.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > In effect, it would be like having five extra mouse buttons in addition
    > to the four on my optical mouse, which I could bind to various weapon
    > toggles.

    Can you easily move your ring finger independantly of the others? Most people
    can't...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Grant wrote:

    > "Dekaritae" <maur@mdi.ca> wrote in message
    >
    > Can you easily move your ring finger independantly of the others? Most people
    > can't...

    I can't really move it upwards without moving my pinky finger as well,
    but I can move it down easily enough.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Dekaritae wrote:
    > I can't really move it upwards without moving my pinky finger as well,
    > but I can move it down easily enough.

    Try it when resting your hand on something, like the mouse and it's not
    to hard.

    Kind regards

    Bruno

Peripherals Joystick Games Video Games Product