Sign in with
Your question

Slow transfers over 1Gb LAN

Last response: in Networking
May 18, 2010 2:44:42 AM

My main box has 2 1Gb onboard NIC's. One is connected to to the modem and the other is connected to my backup/starage box. The 2 NICs are bridged. I am not using a x-over cable.

When I tranfer files from my main to my backup, a popup shows the speed as around 11.0 MB/second and the task manager shows network utilization as around 9.00%.

Why so slow?

If it matters... My main is Win7 with 2x1TB HDs and my backup is WinXP with 1x750GB SATAii HD and 1x2TB SATA ii HD.

TIA

More about : slow transfers 1gb lan

May 18, 2010 6:29:39 AM

jalien said:
My main box has 2 1Gb onboard NIC's. One is connected to to the modem and the other is connected to my backup/starage box. The 2 NICs are bridged. I am not using a x-over cable.

When I tranfer files from my main to my backup, a popup shows the speed as around 11.0 MB/second and the task manager shows network utilization as around 9.00%.

How are you transferring files? Are you moving, copying and pasting or cutting and pasting? In other words, how much of the slowdown is down to Windows' actions rather than the networking itself.
May 18, 2010 2:37:36 PM

I am copying and pasting. I am under the impression cutting and pasting is slower. Also, I forgot to mention my AV is on! I think that would slow down transfers as its scanning files, no?
Related resources
May 18, 2010 4:23:24 PM

jalien said:
I am copying and pasting. I am under the impression cutting and pasting is slower. Also, I forgot to mention my AV is on! I think that would slow down transfers as its scanning files, no?

The AV could well have that effect. My understanding is that copy and paste takes longer - it certainly starts off more slowly as it says "preparing to copy".

May 18, 2010 5:02:11 PM

Interesting, I have not researched enough into which is better, copying or cutting. I will experiment with it. So, my network utilization%/speed is being bottlenecked by other factors then?
May 19, 2010 1:08:10 AM

What speed does your network storage box run at? Is it 100 or 1000. If its 100 and you have the nics bridged it might be setting both to the lowest connection speed.
11 MB/s is about right for a 100Mb/sec network.
May 26, 2010 12:08:05 AM

theyre both 1000. im just wondering if my main box is looping through my router (which is 100) to get to my storage box. the reason i think this is because i use remote access for the storage box and noticed the other day when i unplugged the router that i lost access to the storage box. i thought, because my main box was directly connected to my storage box, that was the connection being used. it is not the case. it seems the storage box is merely passing through the bridge to the router back through the SAME cable to my main box. how retarded is that?

now, if i remove the bridge, only my main box has access to my storage box and then the storage box will have no access to internet (at least i dont know how to configure it).

would a x-over cable help any?
!