Sign in with
Your question

First ever Build help

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2011 3:08:43 PM

i would just like to say ty in advance and any help is welcome.

First of all i would be using the computer for gaming and video convertions (e.g. avi-mp4), i have around £500 to spend if a save up so that would be the marker.

i would like to have a phenom 2 x4 970 but i think that in total that is just stupid as it costs like £140.
Also i am in the uk so uk sites please, no newegg, i basically need a new rig to do as stated and also i would like as my cores as possible and it to be fast. ty

More about : build

a c 131 à CPUs
January 30, 2011 3:23:33 PM

Basically in your pricerange you have a few options. It comes to about $700 american so I will give my advice based on that. Unless you link me to the site you will be buying from.

With that kind of budget, I recommend a phenom II 955 and a GTX460 1GB. These are the best bang for your dollar.
I also recommend 4GB of memory. No less. More might be useless though.

If you want to improve your CPU with any extra money, I recommend a core i5 2300, 2400 or 2500.

Questions that may change my answer:
-Where will you be buying from?
-What don't you need? For example, do you need a monitor, case etc?
-What games will you be playing? What resolution? What setting are you expecting to play these games at?
-Will you be video converting and gaming at the same time?
-Do you have any brand preferences?
January 30, 2011 4:09:20 PM

the cheapest PC retailer in UK i found is : aria.co.uk

choose a 955 , 890 chipset motherboard , 4GB DDR3 ram 1333MHz will be fine , no less than 600 watt PSU , a decent graphics card and a good looking case
about the HDD, WD black caviar is a good choice
a c 131 à CPUs
January 30, 2011 11:20:30 PM

TheScorpion said:
the cheapest PC retailer in UK i found is : aria.co.uk

choose a 955 , 890 chipset motherboard , 4GB DDR3 ram 1333MHz will be fine , no less than 600 watt PSU , a decent graphics card and a good looking case
about the HDD, WD black caviar is a good choice

+1 to that.
!