Sign in with
Your question

Wiring a remote PSU

Last response: in Components
January 30, 2011 5:37:08 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a corsair 800D, and it has power supply in it, but i would like to control a remote (15' away) power supply with my corsair 800D button.
Remote System has No Mobo in it.
Can anyone help or has tried this before, and can tell me how its done please..

Thanx In Advance
Claude :D 

More about : wiring remote psu

January 30, 2011 6:03:09 PM

So you want to turn on the PSU with no motherboard present? If so, on the ATX power connection, jump the green wire to any of the black wires to force the PSU to turn on. A toggle switch could serve that purpose. Almost all modern power supplies will turn on, regardless of if there is a load present or not. Some older PSU's needed a load or some sort (a hard drive, some fans, just something) to turn on, but I havent seen a PSU in the last 8 or so that would do that.
m
l
January 30, 2011 6:09:25 PM

I guess my question is not clear enough...

I want the remote (15 feet away) power supply to turn on, when I push the power button on my 800D case.
Putting a jumper in, i know how to do, i actually have an adapter that does it, im looking for the 800D to do it.

Thanx
Claude
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2011 6:28:21 PM

The 800D has a motherboard and power supply in it, and you want a PSU that's 15 feet away to turn on with the PSU in the 800D?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2011 7:11:26 PM

why dont you use a mag-amp inductor at 50volts, the radiation from a plasmoid coil next to it would cause enough voltage to travel through the air of 15.6ft precisely at a frequency of roughly 3mhz, add a 40amp resistor to the positive side of the plasmoid coil to enable synchronous on/off capability
m
l
January 30, 2011 7:20:12 PM

through the air?
Why not run a cable to it.
I have a pull to it already.
I just need to know the wiring from the 800D to the remote PSU..Wired not Wireless.

Thanx
Claude
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2011 7:45:46 PM

a shitload of atx and molex extension cables?
m
l
January 30, 2011 7:52:09 PM

this is crazy, the power supply gets mounted on a wall, it gets plugged into the 110v outlet, now it needs a signal from the 800D case 15feet away, r u telling me i need a shitload of cables and molex connectors to get it to work?
No, i need a signal from the main unit to tell it to start up.

seems to me you need to know what you are talking about before posting a reply..

Does anyone one know in this forum?
or am i waisting my time here!

Claude
m
l
January 30, 2011 8:00:44 PM

Claude1155 said:
Hello Everyone,

I have a corsair 800D, and it has power supply in it, but i would like to control a remote (15' away) power supply with my corsair 800D button.

Thanx In Advance

Its Green and the black wire next to it, where you usually put the jumper.
Run a 2 conductor cable from there to your other power supply green and the black wire 24pin Mobo connector.
Hey this is a kewl forum , and you get some pretty kewl answers to your posts..

Claude
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2011 10:11:40 PM

shovenose said:
why dont you use a mag-amp inductor at 50volts, the radiation from a plasmoid coil next to it would cause enough voltage to travel through the air of 15.6ft precisely at a frequency of roughly 3mhz, add a 40amp resistor to the positive side of the plasmoid coil to enable synchronous on/off capability

i was totally kidding. none of this crap is actually real stuff lol...

why dont you just run two little wires over to the other psu?
m
l
January 30, 2011 11:50:23 PM

Just run two small wires (like a 18 gauge) from one PSU to the other. You'd connect the green wire and one black wire from one PSU to the corresponding wires on the second PSU. When the system turns on, it will turn off the second. Just be sure that you DO NOT CROSS them. Green to green, black to black. This will send the power-on signal from one psu (the green wire) to the other, and the ground from one to the other.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2011 7:24:46 AM

Claude1155 said:
this is crazy, the power supply gets mounted on a wall, it gets plugged into the 110v outlet, now it needs a signal from the 800D case 15feet away, r u telling me i need a shitload of cables and molex connectors to get it to work?
No, i need a signal from the main unit to tell it to start up.

seems to me you need to know what you are talking about before posting a reply..

Does anyone one know in this forum?
or am i waisting my time here!

Claude

Hey, if you want to run a power supply mounted on a wall, i'm presuming that you want the power to reach the PC, hence you need extension cables. The extension cables carry the signal to the power supply to turn it on. As a few people have said shorting green to black (I think) will turn it on, the ATX extension cables will carry this signal back to the remote power supply from the PC. If you want to start up a power supply that is not supplying power to the PC, so for other reasons, then the green and black.

I suggest that you kill the attitude, before asking for help. And not you are not waisting your time here, the word is spelt wasting.

With regards to not doing it with a shitload of cables, how do you expect to do it genius?

m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2011 5:06:07 PM

13thmonkey said:
Hey, if you want to run a power supply mounted on a wall, i'm presuming that you want the power to reach the PC, hence you need extension cables. The extension cables carry the signal to the power supply to turn it on. As a few people have said shorting green to black (I think) will turn it on, the ATX extension cables will carry this signal back to the remote power supply from the PC. If you want to start up a power supply that is not supplying power to the PC, so for other reasons, then the green and black.

I suggest that you kill the attitude, before asking for help. And not you are not waisting your time here, the word is spelt wasting.

With regards to not doing it with a shitload of cables, how do you expect to do it genius?

He wants to just think it and it turns on. Either way he will need to run some cables from one system to the other. I am not quite sure of the pin's he would need to start it. I know you can do Green+black, but I dont know how that would transfer over to the other PC. He cant do it wiring it to the power button, as the PSU needs Green+Black completing the circut to turn it on. The power switch will compete the circuit and then kill it. The motherboard is what allows the circuit to stay open when the power button is depressed
m
l
January 31, 2011 7:31:44 PM

Claude1155 said:
Hello Everyone,

Thanx In Advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to a home goods store, they have powerstrips that have a plug that detects when a device is in use, it turns on other outlets, just run an extension power cord over to your remote powersupply. " Like when you turn on a table saw, the power strip will turn on the shopvac " So what will happen, when you turn on your 800D, the remote powersupply will be fired up as well. You will still need to jumper the remote powersupply.
m
l
February 5, 2011 7:54:54 AM

Thanx everyone, i will run a 2 conductor signal cable this weekend..green to green, black to black..

Have a great weekend people

thanx again for all the replies, even the kidding ones
Claude
m
l
!